MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-27-2001, 08:28 AM   #1
carolrobone
Registered Member

Post we float

Just a funny story... I work at a private country club and the parking area is not great for employees. After a horrible rain last night, I attempted to leave and found myself in a "pond" of water about 6 feet from the lot. My car was stalled and had water past the door jams, opening the door caused my car to become a part of this pond in the lot. Honest to god, the water was 1 1/2feet deep ,no exaggeration!!. I had the kitchen help come help me push the little pony out and they all laughed when I said I diod not need a ride home. The little pony started right back up after being immersed in water for over 1/2 hour. found on road dead??? NOT.
I love my pony more than ever now. by the way , she is a 92 convertible, only 4 cyl. and i wouldn't trade her for another. Previously had 64 1/2 and 66. both great cars.
so just remember this story when someone says ford is no good.... carol

------------------
carol-ann

[This message has been edited by carolrobone (edited 05-27-2001).]
carolrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 12:39 AM   #2
84stangLX

good story carol, i had an '83 Mercury Zephyr (same "fox" chassis as mustang) and i drove that thing through a closed road just for fun and ended up floating it through (somehow it didn't die, but it was VERY close), i had it at full throttle going 5 mph and the rpm's weren't very high either. I had soggy socks afterwards, but otherwise unscathed.

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
My car
Old 05-31-2001, 06:01 AM   #3
carolrobone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 84stangLX:
good story carol, i had an '83 Mercury Zephyr (same "fox" chassis as mustang) and i drove that thing through a closed road just for fun and ended up floating it through (somehow it didn't die, but it was VERY close), i had it at full throttle going 5 mph and the rpm's weren't very high either. I had soggy socks afterwards, but otherwise unscathed.

My car is still wet inside. I have taken it to the carwash to use thier industrial vacs, however, there is still water in the carpets. my seat is damp, no longer wet. 18 inches of water is no joke. i will never park in the employee lot again.
i am wondering how to get the remainder of the water out, the vac just does not do it. i've left the top down on nice days, run the heat full bore with windows up(i die) when the weather is nasty. Now it seems that there is a stagnant water smell. i just want my car back to normal.
i was very fortunate that it started. i had a little trouble getting home, it was stalling, and the brakes failed 2x. tons of water came out of the drain holes and the muffler. i guess i'm pretty lucky that it still runs.
thanks,
carol-ann

carolrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 03:50 PM   #4
84stangLX

Yeah i noticed my brakes went to the floor also, i just rode them for about 2 miles and they started to get their feel back. I was lucky because the weather wasn't bad (it was last summer) so i left the windows down and eventually the soggyness dissappeared, but the damp swamp water smell was always present afterwards, but it mostly went away. I pulled my carpet up and there was actually quite a bit of dirt underneath which i believe caused quite a bit of smell, not to mention the sound deadening material (attached to the bottom of the carpet) that soaked up the dirt and stink water and preserved the smell. All i can recommend is pulling up the carpet and vacuuming under as well. My sound deading material was stained so i removed it. Good luck!

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
My car
Old 07-16-2001, 09:38 PM   #5
kiel1
Registered Member

You could try using Febreeze or something similar on all the upholstry that was involved.
kiel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 07:53 PM   #6
mysticclam
Registered Member

Try one of those carpet shampoo machines? They spray water and suck it up. Might get the water and clean the smell. If all else fails look in mustang magazines for someplace that sells carpets for the stang. You can find them for 100 bucks. Worth it if your car smells really nasty.
mysticclam is offline   Reply With Quote