MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-08-2004, 08:23 PM   #1
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Default eibach advice needed

I am about to order Eiback springs for a 2003 Mustang 3.8. I want to lower the car an moderately improve the handling. So I have chosen Eiback springs and the Mach 1 Tokico shocks and struts plus Ford rear Anti sway bar.

Here is the question. I am trying to choose between the Pro Kit or Sportline springs. Will i need new caster camber plate for the Sportline. I am told that if you lower much more than 1 to 1.5 inch new plates will be needed. The Sport line lowers about 2 in front 1.8 rear. What advice can anyone here give me? Would it be better to stay more conservatve with the Prokit or if Sport line what else will I need to do?

Also, should I buy new prothane spring isolaters or can I just have the springs installed as is. Will isolaters effect the amount of lowering?

Any advice appreciated.

Posted this in Corner Carvers but no takers on giving advice yet so I am trying this forum
Old 03-09-2004, 01:34 AM   #2
84LX89GT
Mustangs

I'm not exactly sure the difference between the eibach springs, but i'd probably go for the moderate lowering kit and get the caster/camber plates so the alignment is correct. Getting the prothane isolators will not effect ride height, and they might be worth getting.
It's all about what look/ride you want, i'm not sure what the spring rates are but chances are the Sportline kit will be stiffer.

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 06:46 AM   #3
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

John:

Seems to me that you are doing what the experts suggest. A lot of guys simply lower the springs (which is fine), but if you really want to improve the ride/performance going with shocks/struts and sway bar is a great upgrade.

I don't know much about the V-6, so I am not sure if the suspension is similar or the same as the GT.

Do you get MM&FF? Check out either the most recent one or the month before. There is a pretty good article on suspension components and what they do. Lots of good explanations....may help.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 10:33 AM   #4
GodStang
College Stanger

Lowering it to low will totally kill your ride. I would go with the Pro kit. The insulators are not a must but they do make the ride alittle better. The do effect the height but very slightly. I did not need Camber plates on my 94 V6 when I put on H&R SS lowering springs. They are not a must but would be a added bonus if you got them.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:27 PM   #5
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. I will order tomorrow. The prothane isolators ar about 40-50 bucks so I wanted to ask. The ProKit lowers front and back by 1.5 in. The Sport Line drops it 2 in the front and 1.8 in the back. I thought the isolators might add back 1/4 to 1/2 inch is why I was considering the Sportline

Both springs are variable compression so they get stiffer as they compress. From what I read the Eibach's are some of the best but still priced at $209 a set which is a little more than Ford Racing but still reasonable.

The parts will be a little less than $500 delivered and a guy at my tire store says he will install for $200. Does that sound high? I didn't think so considering the effort.

Thanks for the reply. The Corner Carvers are still considering the question. Lots of views but no response. It must not be exciting enough for the real racers. From the pics over there I would say they are all lowered at least 2 inches.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:19 AM   #6
GodStang
College Stanger

$200 sounds like a pretty good deal. They are a pain in the but sometimes. As far as the insultors you should already have some on yours but crapy ones. The ride height that they talk about is with you still using your stock insulator. The aftermarket ones just hold up better and dampen better. Some people take there old ones off and use no insulators for even more drop and they say that they have no problems. I just think the ride would be horrible. Good luck with your choice.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
4Isleeper
Registered Member

Default Re: eibach advice needed

coil overs kits are the best. Griggs and Maximum Motorsports offer springs and shocks combination that will suit your driving habits. Other manufactures sell products to make money. Check American Iron racing. I have griggs and can adjust my ride height for street or track.
4Isleeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: