MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-20-2003, 02:56 PM   #1
DSW92
Registered Member

Default 1992 2.3L 4Cyl.-Electrical Prob?

1st time user. Hope someone can help. Just rebuilt my '92 2.3 4cyl. with automatic trans. I've taken it out to break it in and have a little over 200 miles on it now. When I start the engine, the starter drive pinion gear stays engaged whith the flex plate for 2 to 3 seconds after the engine is running. Needless to say, the teeth on the flex plate were taking a serious hit and wouldn't be around much longer. I've replaced everything that others have suggested including the starter, the drive pinion gear mounted to the top of the starter, the starter solenoid(on the wheel well), the ignition swith on the column, the flexplate(it had cracks), the positive leads from the starter to the solenoid and from the solenoid to the drive pinion gear on the starter, and the neg. lead. I ran the following test. Attached the negative lead from the meter to the negative side of the battery, and the positive lead to the solenoid post leading to the starter. When I started the engine, the meter needle shot up and came back down slowly, in time with the drive pinion gears' slow release from the flex plate. I really thought I had the problem fixed when I found the cracks in the old flex plate. Anyone have an idea of what the problem might be before I ruin this new flex plate?
DSW92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 07:20 PM   #2
Tom Rutledge
Registered Member

Check with your parts man or the dealer service group to see if you are supposed to have spacers between the starter and the flywheel housing.

It could be that the starter is going in to far and sticking.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:21 PM   #3
DSW92
Registered Member

Hi, Tom. I appreciate your reply, unfortunately, no spacers called for. Already been down that road. I'm looking at a possible ground problem now. I've got ground from firewall to block (actually to upper intake manifold), battery to block, battery to wheel well, and just added one from one of the starter bolts to the frame. Am I missing anything as far as you can tell? The electrical system is a major weak point for me. I appreciate any input you might offer.

Thanks again,

Scott
dsw92
DSW92 is offline   Reply With Quote