MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-14-2001, 09:18 PM   #1
slo95
Registered Member

Question keeps pinging and pinging and pinging...(long)

Okay, I promise this is my last post on this topic so here goes (again)

I am thinking about putting a "ransom" on this, that is, whoever can solve this gets money!

still fighting an engine ping. stock 95, timing at 6* to 10*. 87 to 93 octane. The ONLY thing that keeps the engine from pinging is Bordahls Knock Out (with it, the car runs great). At 5 bucks a bottle, there has to be a permanent fix. Please don't say a chip, because I have to believe there are a ton of stock 95 GT's out there without a custom burned chip. The pinging only occurs when the engine is warm and at WOT. Cold, in the morning, no problem, but as soon as the temp gets to normal and I stomp on the gas, ping city.
If the Knock Out works, would you think it is air/fuel related, like a worn out fuel pump? OR a sensor is sending wrong info to the computer, so then I am thinking EGR, IAC, TPS, MAF, O2 sensors?
any of that sound right? No trouble codes (still)...I am willing to start swapping parts to get this fixed, just trying to get an educated guess on the first waste of money!

ps, I am also (still) having an idle problem, it is fine for a minute, then lopes way down (350-400)and surges back up (800-900), and then settles back at like 650?rpm in D - a few minutes later, same thing. EGR? IAC? TPS? also stalled the other day after coming to a stop just off an exit ramp...

I though maybe a head gasket was bad, I drained the oil, let it sit in a clear plastic tub for over a week without moving it, and nothing is separated. Sooo, that was a relief.

It is driving me nuts. I am seriously considering trading it in on a new 6cyl, with the numbers they make now, and of course rising gas prices...and the fact that it most likely would not PING!
slo95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 10:07 PM   #2
Capri306

Lightbulb

I can give you my quick list of things I've seen cause a ping, excluding what you've already checked: EGR or its control solenoid not sealing off engine vacuum (remember, there's the valve itself AND a control solenoid the computer uses to open it; I've replaced mine already), vacuum leaks, EGO(s) gone completely rich (doesn't always set a code!), TPS with a crapped-out resistive track (check with an analog VOM), a MAF sensor gone bad (would explain the bad idle problem, definitely worth looking into), bad fuel pressure regulator (although I have yet to see one cause a lean condition, it is *possible*), or low fuel pressure.

Armed with a VOM, fuel pressure tester, and open eyes, I think you'll nail this problem. Good luck!

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 12:34 PM   #3
blueneonman1
Registered Member

Maybe your balancer with the timing marks shifted and your really not running 6-10*, but higher. Another thing could be your distributor. When I got a new engine put in at Ford, they put my distributor in one tooth ahead of where it should be. Someone told me that is not a bad thing, but it makes timing adjustments confusing. Also, to check a head gasket, open the radiator cap when the car is cold an run the car for a few minutes. If you see bubbles in radiator, you have a head gasket leak.
blueneonman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 03:17 PM   #4
slo95
Registered Member

thanks for the suggestions...

I have done in the past...
1. cleaned the MAF many times.
2. checked the voltage at the TPS, seemed to change steadily with no jumps.
3. cleaned out the EGR very well.
4. checked for vacuum leaks with starter fluid.
5. checked voltage at the MAF, seemed within spec's.
6. replaced the FPR

as for timing, I have checked it many times, and always seems consistant. I had a new distributor gear put in, it made no difference, so i think they put it in right.
slo95 is offline   Reply With Quote