MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-26-2003, 12:08 PM   #1
CADreamin
Registered Member

Default 98 GT pinging

I have a 98 GT that's stock with 60,000 miles. Only modification (small) is a K&N filter. For a while now, the car pings when under heavy acceleration or going up a hill.

Just drained, flushed, and refilled the cooling system. It is in good working order with no leaks. The thermostat and fan work as they should. I sprayed the wires on the MAF (which had some crud buildup) with electrical contact cleaner. This has helped the problem and the overall running of my car, but has not eliminated it completely.

If it stops raining long enough this weekend, I have new plugs, wires, and filters ready to go in the car. I do not have a timing adjuster on the car and assume the timing is stock, though I have not checked it.

Any suggestions from the group? Is a good tune up likely to take care of the problem? Or could it be the EGR valve, carbon buildup, etc? Is there a good way to de-carbon a 4.6L without pulling the heads?

Your ideas and suggestions are appreciated...

Thanks,

98 Mustang GT Coupe
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 11:20 AM   #2
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

Try a different brand of gas...

Undo the battery for 30 minutes and reset the computer. Drive normally with some highway miles for about 20-30 minutes to let the EEC adjust to new settings. (I mention this because you said you cleaned the MAF sensor)

Timing is varied by the EEC based on conditions of the air, temp, shifts,...etc...

I wouldn't worry about it...
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 11:42 AM   #3
CADreamin
Registered Member

Thanks, Red Mustang Gt 46...I already disconnected the battery in order to clean the MAF sensor, but did not drive on the highway at all over the next 20-30 miles.

As you might have noticed, I have been asking a lot of questions lately because my car is overdue for a good tune-up and changing of fluids. I'm knocking things out slowly as the weather and time permit. After I'm done, I'll disconnect the battery again and let you know how things are going.

Meantime...if any of you have any other thoughts on the subject please share them.

Thanks again,

98 Mustang GT Coupe
Old 03-27-2003, 10:28 PM   #4
Technick
Registered Member

At 60K I would suggest a fuel injection cleaning, preferably by a Motorvac, made by Sun and usually sold by Snap-on. Not something you just go out and buy. Cost is $4,500.00 So a repair shop is the only place that will have one. Cost can be from $90.00 to $150.00 I owned one once when I ran my own performance Mustang shop. There is NOTHING better (outside new fuel injectors) at cleaning fuel injectors, cleaning carbon off of the pistons and valves as a Motorvac. PERIOD!! I have seen this machine cut the vehicle emissions in half! It has solved many a driveability issue. It is not the end all, cure all. But it does work. The Snap-On man let me use one for 6 weedks for free just so I could see for myself how good the machine was. It was everything he said it was, so I bought one. Still wish I had it. Not an easy decision to buy considering it's cost. But it was worth it. Having the injectors clean can go a long way to having a great running engine. Just be sure to change the fuel filter at the same time.
Oh, and do not forget the "other" tune up stuff that should be done at 60K also.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:53 AM   #5
CADreamin
Registered Member

Thanks, Technik, I'll look into this procedure...

98 Mustang GT Coupe