MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
omw41
Registered Member

Default Charging Problems

1993 2.3l LX Vert: I am , but here is what I know. I replaced the voltage regulator and the battery. The cables/terminals to the battery are clean and tight. I have no blown fuses, but I have not checked the fuseable link off of the soleniod yet. Here is what hapens: even with a new battery in the car it goes dead as can be overnight, but when I jump it with my other car, it starts right up, the volt meter on the stock gauge cluster reads charging, and all is cool, until I disconnect the jump and then you can just watch the volts drop on the meter and the car just drops dead, and the battery is dead again. I mean, is it the alternator? That is the only thing I have not replaced, but I am just a shadetree and I am wondering if what I mentioned about jumping the car will help someone pin point my problem.

Thanks
omw41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
omw41
Registered Member

Default Re: Charging Problems

I checked the fuseable link and it looks good and is tight. Usually when they (fuseable links) go bad, you can pull them apart easily.
I did the old shadetree trick of jumping the car, getting it running, and then pulling off the positive battery cable, if the car cuts off, then the alternator is bad;the car cut off instantly. Also, another old shadetree trick is to take a wrench and hold it near the alternator when the car is running. If the alternator is good, then it should produce a magnetic field and "pull" the wrench to the alternator. Again, nothing. So I guess I will change out the alternator. I just hope I am not forgetting or missing something.
omw41 is offline   Reply With Quote