MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-09-2005, 07:54 PM   #1
harry444
Registered Member

Angry rear end whine

Hi I am at the end of the line with the dealer it started about 4 weeks ago when I brought in my 2004 mustang for service and told the service guy that around 45 mph I hear a whine coming from the rear end. He said that the bearings were bad and had to be replaced so this is where my nightmare begins. The dealer ordered the parts and a week later the bearings were changed. When I picked up the car as soon as I drove away the whine was louder then ever I thought that maybe the bearings needed to run in so i gave it 1000 miles and they got realy noisey so I took the car back in to the dealer again they told me the bearings were bad ok maybe a bad set of bearings well I picked up the car today and I pulled out of the dealer and there was that f**king whine so I turned back and the dealer said to bring the car back so they could take a look my question is has anyone ever had this problem with there rear end?
btw the car only has 22000 mi. on it and already replaced power steering pump, shocks and 2 sets of rear end bearings and going on the set number 3 guess so much for ford tough !
harry444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 12:13 PM   #2
Stang_Girl617
Registered Member

Default Re: rear end whine

good lord!
You guys dont have a lemon law there. I know we here in GA have a lemon law on cars that says basically if you have the same problem with a new car 3 times you get a new one. Maybe you should look into it. My 2000 has 50k on it and I have never had to change any of that. GOOD LUCK! Hopefully the 3rd time is the charm. Buf if not.. you should get a new one.(Lemonlaw)

2000 V6 Stang
so far only exaust and BBK CAI
Stang_Girl617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 08:06 PM   #3
harry444
Registered Member

Hi and yes we have a lemon law and tomorrow Im going to tell them to get a new car ready because if mine is not fixed Im driving home in a new one! they have a new 2004 screaming yellow gt sitting on the lot so it might be mine after tomorrow LOL .....Btw how do you like your dual exhust I was thinking on putting it on my V6

Harry
Old 09-14-2005, 12:00 PM   #4
mysteed
Registered Member

Yes, I would look into the Lemon law for your state. The problem could be the bearings or it could be the gears, shims, or any number of small things in the rear end. Talk to your service guy and see if he can get ford to approve a new rear end for the stang if it isn't fixed by the new set of bearings they are putting in it now. Dual exhaust is one of the best mods for a stock 6er and can be done relatively cheap.
mysteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:15 PM   #5
harry444
Registered Member

Well got my stang back from the dealer with a brand new rearend! and its QUIET!!!! all I hear is the tunes on the radio it took three times and I told them that if it wasn't fixed this time get a new car ready because I don't want this one. But I couldn't talk the dealer into putting in a set of 4:10 gears LOL well guess that will come after 36000 miles along with all the other mods I have in mind Tnx....

Harry
Old 09-14-2005, 09:05 PM   #6
my99stang
my03stang

Unfortunately, Ford has a major problem with having this problem in the rearend. My '04 Explorer had that problem and our Service manager, who is the top in the state (he has taken all the mechanic tests and more tests and passed them all), told us that the only way to solve the problem is to replace the rearend. He said just replacing the bearings does not fix the problem. My husband's '05 mustang had the same problem and he traded it off after this was his 3rd problem with less than 1000 miles on the car.

I am so glad you got your stang fixed. It is so nice to hear that.

Tammy

Mods:
35th Anniversary Bezel Gauge Cluster
35th Anniversary Floor Mats
coming soon...
17" wheels
dual exhausts
my99stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 02:44 AM   #7
84LX89GT
Mustangs

I don't know why the mechanic only replaced the bearings in the rear axle, a whine is caused by the ring and pinion wearing incorrectly or excessively wearing on the thrust face. A rumble or grinding would be bearings.
The '02 and up explorers have had alot of bearing and ring/pinion problems, there has been several special service messages and technical service bulletins on axle whine. for awhile Ford was having us (i'm a ford tech) replace the whole thing. Now there is a kit that includes bearings and the ring and pinion set with all the shims needed to install the ring and pinion set to the correct clearences. ford tightened the specification for backlash between the ring and pinion teeth and i believe changed the manufacturing of the gears.
Alot of times if you go to the dealership and request a different service advisor or request a different technician work on it you may have better luck. Or you could also go to another dealership altogether and see if they do any better.
Good luck,

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:39 PM   #8
my99stang
my03stang

Angry Re: rear end whine

Sorry it took me so long to get back with you. I apologize, you are right about the ring and pinion. I put that wrong about my Explorer. Our tech did not change the bearings he changed the whole rearend. He said it was the ring and pinion, but it would not do any good to just replace them, the only way to solve the problem was to put a new rearend in it. You know, I am a women and I do not know a whole lot about these things.

Thanx, Tammy

Mods:
35th Anniversary Bezel Gauge Cluster
35th Anniversary Floor Mats
coming soon...
17" wheels
dual exhausts
my99stang is offline   Reply With Quote