MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-09-2005, 01:54 AM   #1
omarhamadi
Registered Member

Default Should I buy a mustang although i have to deal with alot of snow?

Hi, im new to the forum. Im a college student and i just got the budget to buy myself a car. i've been eyeing a 02 mustang, manual, v6 coupe. about 55K on it. Now my family is against me buying it, they want me to buy a civic. Everyone i have asked says that i will really regret buying a rear wheel drive car like a mustang driving in Michigan. now im really worried about this, i dont want to buy a car and then regret it. Is there anything I can do? should i just stay away from the mustang? im not really that experienced when it comes to driving in the snow as it is, so im worried that this will be a bad choice. can anyone give me some advise?? thanks
omarhamadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 08:23 AM   #2
harry444
Registered Member

Default Re: Should I buy a mustang although i have to deal with alot of snow?

Just get a good set of snow tires and you will be ok !
harry444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:05 PM   #3
mysteed
Registered Member

You can have a rear wheel drive vehicle and drive it in the winter, you just need good snow tires and not drive crazy.
mysteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 09:19 PM   #4
fred414141
Registered Member

get the mustang! if it's too rough to drive it,then you sure don't want to be on the road in a civic waiting to get plastered by some jerk in a 2 ton rear wheel drive truck!
fred414141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 01:20 PM   #5
bjack
Registered Member

First ask yourself "What do you want to drive?" You say you've got the budget to buy, this tells me that you are probably buying the car with your own funds or at least have contributed significantly. If you want the mustang and you cave in to family and peer pressure and buy the civic.....you will regret it each time you see a stang zipping by or charging up in your rear view. Michigan has perfected the snow removal process, it has snowed in Michigan every winter since time began and they know how to prepare and react to treating the roads and highways! If you find yourself on a snow/ice covered road, all you have to do is ensure you have some good all season tires, give yourself plenty of room for breaking, tap, tap the breaks (don't lock em up) and bring the car to a slow steady stop. Don't over accelerate when starting off, sometime with a standard trans you do much better to start off in second gear to avoid spinning the rear tires. If you get in a situation where the rear “fish tails” let your foot off the accelerator and turn the wheels in the opposite direction the car fist tails and tap, tap the breaks when the car straightens up. Easy stuff…use common sense and you’ll be okay. Get the Mustang and think about the possible good times, trust this old fart….that young little honey would much prefer being picked up in a stang opposed to a civic!!
bjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 01:57 PM   #6
ThaJackal
Registered Member

I too was being told not to buy the Mustang. My parents wanted me to buy a Chrysler 300. I was against the Chrysler when I saw the Mustang. I bought a 95 Stang SES w/ a 3.8L and 78K mi. I live in Wisconsin and have a similar snow problem. Like the others before me said, just take it easy and get some good tires. you wont regret buying the Stang, it is the better of the 2 cars.
ThaJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 01:35 AM   #7
TheRaceHorse
Registered Member

I too have recently just purchased a 1995 Ford Mustang v6 3.8L.

I live just south of Boston, Mass. AKA winter wonderland in the winter. Now i have been reading these sites for the past few days and decided to finally join seeing this thread.

I would like to know what kind of tires are considered good snow tires for the winter?
TheRaceHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 10:14 AM   #8
fred414141
Registered Member

there is a lot of great info on 1010tires.com . wheel and tire info,maybe more there than any other website i've found.
fred414141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 07:41 PM   #9
davepett
Registered Member

My 2cents, I live about 2 hours northeast of Toronto, Ontario, we get lots of snow/ice and freezing rain isn't uncommon.

I used to take my 95 Mustang (all season Eagle GA originally then Mich Xones) off the road and drive a winter beater but that became too expensive. These two all seasons were horrible with a little fresh snow, an accident waiting to happen.

Three winters ago I bought four Bridgestone Blizzaks. Holy F&?(#k the cars handling was night and day different. I could motor in 6+ inches of fresh snow, ice is still a little tricky but manageable. I heartily recommend these tires (take them off immediately as the weather gets warmer as they are very soft).
davepett is offline   Reply With Quote