MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-16-2000, 12:54 PM   #1
Ron94mustang3.8
Registered Member

Angry Grinding noise

I own a 94 mustang 3.8. I have a grinding noise coming from the rear undercarriage when ever I hit a bump or have passangers in the rear seats. I have brought it to two different mechanics who have been unable to find anything wrong. I have had the rear springs and shocks replaced to no avail. The noise sounds like something metalic is scraping on something else! It is rather loud and sound a little like a machine gun. I cannot find any signs of scraping or metal filings. One mechanic suggested that I wait until it gets worse or breaks in order to find it easier. Does every 94 mustang owner have the same problem or am I the only one?
Any suggestions would be more than welcome!
Thanks Ron
Ron94mustang3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2000, 02:05 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb

Could be the one of the rear wheel bearings or simply a tire rubbing on the wheelwell, but that should only happen with oversized rubber, which you don't mention having.
The 'machine-gun' sound sounds like the driveshaft possibly touching the floorpan.

Try to get the car on a lift that supports the four wheels and put two people in the rear seat. Then see if anything touches anything. Best I can do from a distance.

Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2000, 09:03 PM   #3
Ron94mustang3.8
Registered Member

Smile

Thanks for your advice Mr 5 0! You turned out to be right on. I jacked my car up and supported it on its rear axles (large logs to be exact) and (always keeping safty in mind) had my wife and kids bounce while the wheels were turning. This allowed me to locate the grinding noise which turned out to be the flange where the emergency break cables connect to the break lever. The flange had been bent down out of position by the force of the cables and was in the path of the drive-shaft as the shaft moved up and down. I bent it back temporarily but I hope to reinforce it by bolting the flange more firmly to the sub-flooring when I get a chance. Although this is not a major break- through in the history of auto repair, the grinding noise was super anoying. So I just want to thank you and pass on my findings to others who might have the same problem!
Way to go!

[This message has been edited by Ron94mustang3.8 (edited 07-21-2000).]
Ron94mustang3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote