MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-20-2001, 11:26 PM   #1
Frank_Lopez
Registered Member

Post Lemon?

Hi, I want to start by saying that this seems like a real cool place. I've been reading the posts for a while but never sighned up. until now, I did not have a reason. Me and my dad realy wanted a mustang after hanging around here for a while and seeing Gone in 60 Seconds too many times! We did not have a ton of money to spend on a car (like any of us do.) but we finaly bought one. It's a 1995 Mustang V6. The real cool part is when he handed me a tool kit and told me the car was mine! I just turned 16. Anyway, we bought the car for about 4000 and its obviously not in tiptop shape. I have some problems, me or my dad are not car experts, so we need some advice. The two major problems are: 1) When I rev the engine the whole engine seems to jerk to the side, along with the car. Now don't laugh at my lame diagnosis but, could it be some loose bolts? (I think they are called motor mounts, but i dont want to make a fool of my self, lol.) Or mabey the timing? one of my dumb *ss friends said something like, "They took the stabilizers off to show the power." LOL! Anyway, what could it be? Next is the speedo, it does not work, my dad wont let me drive it till we get that fixed. The easiest thing to check if the wire is loose but how do i check that? And if its not that should i buy a new sensor? where is that thing anyway? Finaly, can I fit a larger V8 in my COOL car? BTW, the poor car was crashed before, you can peel the red paint and reveal some real cool black paint. Not to mention the one side of the fender seems to be real thin. But who wouldn't be proud any way? Thanks for the help.
Frank_Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 04:36 AM   #2
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Seeing if the motor mount is bad is pretty easy. Take a flashlight and get under the car (it's easier with a creeper, basically a rolling board with wheel that you can lay on) and take a look at where the engine meets the body. There will be one underneath each side of the engine. Underneath will be a "crossmember that connects the two sides of the car and holds the suspension in place, it's very hard to miss. The motor mounts bolt the engine to the crossmember. There are 2 possibilities: 1: one of the motor mounts, or both, (which are usually rubber in the middle to damped vibrations) are ripped and basically letting the engine flop around, or THE SCARY #2, the crossmember is ripped at where the motor mount mounts to the crossmember, which can also be an option, but more likely it's a busted motor mount or mounts. They're easy to find, but suck to have to replace. Oh, and tell your friend that no one in their right mind would take out or break motor mounts to show "how strong an engine is".
-For the speedometer, there's a cable going from the left side of the transmission (huge cable, hard to miss) and i believe that there is a bolt and a bracket that hold it in. The cable goes from the transmission to the inside of the dash behind the speedometer.
Good luck, these are really crappy problem to have if you don't really know how to fix a car!
By the way, it would be a better idea just to buy a GT if you want a V8 because it's cheaper and with the extra torque it stresses the frame, which from what it sounds like may not be in very good shape on your car. Hopefully the accident it was in didn't twist the frame much. If you want V8 power there are aftermarket companies that sell cold air intakes, superchargers and dual exhaust kits that would make your car as fast as a GT. Again, good luck, and congratulations on your first mustang purchase!

------------------
previous name: 84stangLX
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
my LX
'89 Mustang GT
my GT

84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 09:45 PM   #3
Frank_Lopez
Registered Member

Thanks for the help! but i got a question, is that cable on the passenger or driver side? Where would you recomend I put the jack?
Frank_Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote