MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-05-2000, 10:00 PM   #1
GodStang
College Stanger

Unhappy Engine problems need help!!

I have a 1994 Mustang V6. It has 105,000 miles. I have put a K&N air filter, new wires, and new spark plugs. new head gaskets and machined the heads.
Now with my problem. When I drive the engine will miss fire BAD. The whole car will jerk really really hard. It feels like you are letting the cluth out two early. But the cluth is not even being touched. Some times it does it once in a blue moon, sometimes it will do it 50 to 60 times in a row. Also one day I had my car on and lights and radio. I was talking to a friend letting it idle all the lights shut off the clock and radio went out and the car turned offand than came back on and ran normal. The check engine lite comes on and when it misses sometimes it will go off. I have takin it to get looked at and the codes could not be read. Any help would be appricated.

Josh Godbee
GodStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2000, 08:45 AM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Josh:

This is one of those mechanical problems that's difficult to diagnose from a distance so all I can offer are some guesses.

Obviously it's electrical in nature.
I would check out the usual culprits in these situations which are the battery connections; Remove and clean the terminals(with a post cleaner - available in any auto parts store for $3.00) and reconnect tightly, using some dielectric grease on the terminals for protection. Follow and check the battery cable to the ground connection and clean and tighten that, too as it could be the problem. There is an engine ground strap on the firewall (woven brass) that should be taken off, scapped clean and reconnected tightly.
Check the connections on the alternator, especially the harness plug which should be cleaned. Reconnect tightly.

All these are free, fairly simple to accomplish and may solve the problem.
If not, you may need a professional mechanic
to investigate further and try to find the cause of the problem; but the more items you've checked and cleaned or tightened, the less they will have to do and the less you should pay, should it come to that.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2000, 11:18 PM   #3
Idhomustang
Registered Member

I don't knoe if Ford recalled this model and year but Ford did recall Ignition switches in all Fords from the eighties and into the 90's you mightcheck with your local dealer. And see if your car is included and get it scheduled for repair, I believe it is free and it might cure your problem. If not it might make it worse so it is noticed at the time of the repair, thus a free answer or repair may be had.
The cylinder head deal works that way as well for has recalled some of the 90's cars, I was told that if you sent them a threating letter like, I'm going to sue your collective *** 's that they pay the bill right away.

Just an idea ?

Good luck..

------------------
393,750 Holley,Pro Billet MSD,MSD 6AL,Xtr-Com cam,et streets, 3:55,Eagle Long rods
3000stall covertor,Airflow Research, Hooker long tubes 3" exhaust. S&W 6 point roll cage.
12.2 at 113mph. First pass.
Idhomustang is offline   Reply With Quote