MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-19-2002, 09:33 PM   #1
MattwantsSpeed
Registered Member

Default Next performance modification?

Well I've built the Home Depot Cold Air Intake and it's a little noticable and not bad for $65 ncluding the price of the K&N Filter. Now my next question is, is what would my next best modification be? AND What single modification (other than a charger) would give me the greatest hp and tq increases?

Best to date: 14.331@97.46mph with 14*/stock fan/short belt and a 2.222 60' in 90 degree weather

Waiting to put on Off road H and 1 5/8 headers

Rice Hater's Club #36
MattwantsSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 11:55 PM   #2
GodStang
College Stanger

My opinion would be 3.55 or 3.73 rear end gears. Will not increase HP but will get you into the HP band faster and therefore make 1/4 times better. You should have a 7.5" rear end. I would only buy Ford gears the other brands even though are cheaper they whine really bad.
Old 04-21-2002, 09:29 AM   #3
Stang Runner
Registered Member

Gears will make it feel beter get the 3.73 for it.
Engine: steel mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, GT-40 Intake ported Lower, No power steering, No A/C, Mac cold intake, 65MM TB, 255 Fuel pump, 24's, AFR 165 58cc, Rocker Arms 1.7with the stock Cam, 1 5/8 short headers, offRoad X-pipe
Drive Train: 3.55, T-5 with a Pro 5.0 shifter
12.656@107.71MPH See It at www.T-racing.com/mustang.htm
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 10:17 AM   #4
Bake
Registered Member

If you get gears from ford, and if u have a little extra cash in hand at the time, grab a T-lock pin from ford and get them to install it with the gears at no extra cost for install. you will really feel what your car is making cause of the extra traction you will have. and you will be really blowing away all your little fart tip loving friends all around town.
Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 03:15 AM   #5
Jester4kicks
Registered Member

Sound cool, I've got a 2000 V6 as well, couple questions regarding ths upgrade. First, what part(s) are actually being changed? Can someone really explain how this change really helps? Second, will this change affect the warranty (the warranty on the engine specifically)? Last, what is the ratio on the stock gears, will this affect 0-60 times, and will I need ant other parts beside what comes with the upgraded gears?

Let's see who reaaly knows their stuff, I probably asked too much all at once. LOL

Take care all
Steeda Strut Tower Brace
Steeda Subframe Connectors w/crossbraces
Jester4kicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 04:17 PM   #6
GodStang
College Stanger

When you are replaceing rearend gears. You are placing the ring and pinion. You will also need the a set of gaskets to put it back to gether. The stock rearend is a 7.5" with 2.73. The gears are about $189.00 and the gaskets I am not sure. Yes it will imporve your 60 ft time and your 1/4 mile time.
It will most likly affect your warranty. How does it help? It speeds the rate at which your wheels spin and therefore put your rpms up about a thousdand from where they are stock. Thus putting you in the power band quikcer. I hope this helps.
Old 04-22-2002, 04:28 PM   #7
MattwantsSpeed
Registered Member

So what am I looking at for a price for 3.55 or 3.73 gears with T-lok from Ford? I've seen prices around 200 but I'm sure if it's from Ford, it will be twice as much. I will probably have someone I know install them.

Best to date: 14.331@97.46mph with 14*/stock fan/short belt and a 2.222 60' in 90 degree weather

Rice Hater's Club #36
Old 04-22-2002, 04:40 PM   #8
GodStang
College Stanger

MAke sure they are for a 7.5 rearend and not a 8.8 rearend. They should be 189.00. If you buy one from other than ford you WILL have problems. Mostly Whineing. So buy Ford RAcing Performace parts. Find them in any Muscle mustang and fast fords or in 5.0 and superfords. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2002, 12:55 AM   #9
Jester4kicks
Registered Member

Ford's website says specifically the better set is not for emission controlled vehicles. Any reasoning behind this? I don't see how changing the ring an pinion could affect your emissions, but the last thing I need is a car that won't pass emissions.
Steeda Strut Tower Brace
Steeda Subframe Connectors w/crossbraces
Jester4kicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 11:22 AM   #10
GodStang
College Stanger

On cobra R wheels it says no for emission control cars. This is on wheels. They put that just incase. you will not have a problem.
Old 04-23-2002, 02:32 PM   #11
99Pony3.8
Registered Member

The reason Ford says the new gear set is not for emission controlled cars is because it will slightly affect emissions. Putting on a lower gear set will improve times off the line by putting you in the power band quicker. It also lowers fuel milage because RPM will increase - which is what affects emissions. Lower gears result in higher RPM's to maintain the same speed. So if your car runs at 2500 RPM at 70 MPH stock, you may run 2800 RPM at 70 MPH with the lower gear kit. Higher RPM's mean more fuel consumption -- higher fuel consumption means increased emissions. You will see quicker times off the line with the gears, but the car will be a bit louder at speed because of the higher RPM's and fuel consuption will drop a bit. Hope that helps -- the real pro's and con's of a gear swap. Better to make the decision with all info up front so you are not disappointed with the results.
Old 04-23-2002, 03:42 PM   #12
GodStang
College Stanger

But if your rpm's go up you will shift sooner therefore you will drive in a higher gear therefore you will save gas. That is what I have been told. Some people save gas in town and lose it on the highway. Some people lose it both ways.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:08 PM   #13
99Pony3.8
Registered Member

That is true. You will shift sooner, but in top gear you will run higher RPM's dropping milage. You may save gas around town but lose milage at a consistant speed.
Old 04-23-2002, 11:17 PM   #14
MattwantsSpeed
Registered Member

Can anyone post the link to the site where the info on the Ford gears are? Also, 99Pony3.8......Exactly what did you use to dual exhaust your Stang? I've found a site where I can buy the pipes, mufflers and rear bumber off a GT for $170, but I don't know what exactly I will need and where to find it?

Rice Hater's Club #36
Old 04-24-2002, 08:39 AM   #15
99Pony3.8
Registered Member

I bought the exhaust kit from California Mustang ( http://www.cal-mustang.com ), which included the GT take-off exhaust, the H-pipe, and all the hangers and hardware. The bumper came from MPS ( http://www.stangparts.com ). Luckily, I live in Atlanta, so I was able to pick up the bumper myself from MPS without having it shipped. You could also buy the exhaust and bumper kit from MPS and get just the H-pipe from Cal Mustang, however, the MPS kit does not include the hangers -- you have to pay extra for them. I would recommend the Cal Mustang kit for the exhaust and the bumper from MPS. The price will be about the same in the long run.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:59 PM   #16
MattwantsSpeed
Registered Member

Did you notice a decent difference with the dual exhaust off the GT? Does anybody have any proven HP gains? Also How much did it cost you the paint the bumper or how much was the cost of paint? I assume painting it metallic silver will be pretty expensive. Well atleast I have a base price of around $310 not including the charge of painting the rear bumper

Rice Hater's Club #36
Old 04-24-2002, 02:02 PM   #17
99Pony3.8
Registered Member

The rear bumpers MPS sell are take-offs from Rousche and Saleen conversions. As long as your car is a stock color, there is a good chance they can match the color. They don't gaurantee it since they don't know what color bumpers they will get in, but mine was an exact color match (white). Since I live in Atlanta where MPS is located, I was able to go there and pick my bumper out and pick the best white one. They are very nice there and will do everything they can to satisfy you.

As far as the exhaust goes, I did notice an increase in HP after the conversion was installed. It wasn't huge, but the car is quicker and revs faster. It sounds much better, too. I'd estimate maybe 10 HP.

Keep in mind, no single mod will cause huge HP gains (short of a blower) unless you rebuild the engine and do significant work to it. Bolt ons will add moderate power, and the combination of several mods can have a nice increase. If you really want to take advantage of the dual exhaust, add MAC short tube headers and have the heads polished and ported. You could see 30-35 HP just with those 3 mods, but the heads will cost you -- about $400 for the heads and $1000 to have them installed. I installed them myself, but I grew up restoring cars. It is not a job for the weekend mechanic -- you have to take apart the whole top half of the motor. If you've never rebuilt an engine before, take it to a mechanic or you WILL destroy your engine.

Last edited by 99Pony3.8; 04-24-2002 at 02:13 PM..
99Pony3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote