MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-07-2001, 12:53 PM   #1
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Post My car.... It just SHUT DOWN

The starter was having problems It wouldnt disengage. It would keep trying to spin after the car was runnign and the keytaken out of the START position. Finally all off a sudden after doing this it went BAM, everything shut down. Complete electrical shut off. I gotta get it back up and running.

I need my baby.

Anyhelp?

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
TFS TW Heads, E-303, Edelbrock intake, 70mm TB, 73mm MAF, 24lb injectors, 1 5/8 shorties, Off Road H, 3 Chamber flows, Jaz Race seats, Back seat removed, sub-frames, Roll Cage, and a 80 shot of N20.
12.54@107.4 Motor
332RWHP, 350rwtq
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 12:59 PM   #2
D&R Stang

I had a similar problem with an older stang I had, the starter would keep running even if I took the key out of the ignition. My problem was that my solenoid was sticking. I assume yours would be a remote solenoid on the firewall, but if you have a high torque starter, then it'll be on the starter itself. As far as the entire shutdown, I'm sorry but I dunno. What will it do now? Will it turn over or is it just completely dead?
Old 11-07-2001, 01:00 PM   #3
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

im not an electrical expert by any means necessary but,

is it possible that your solenoid is fried? i would think that if it was bad then it just kept giving juice to the starter and may have fried something

maybe the it was constantly getting juice and killed the battery and thats why you have no power at all now,
have you tried jumping it?

sorry i can't give you a better answer on it, im sure Unit or PKRWUD will be on here in about 20 min to tell you for sure, good luck hunting it down

------------------
88 Notch, B&M Ripper, 3.73's, Ported E7's, Explorer int. w/ ported lower, pulleys, 1.7RR's, full exhaust,65mm TB, Nitto DR's, new best 1/4--> 13.42@106.18 (1.89 short time)
fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 01:01 PM   #4
fiveohpatrol

i guess D&R stang and i posted at the same time, sorry
Old 11-07-2001, 01:03 PM   #5
topless tire fryer
All show, some go 4 now!

Question

That sucks Sky . Is it possible the starter not disengaging drained enough juice to trip a fuse/fuseable link? Electric problems are the worst.

------------------
'95 Chrome Yellow GT ragtop, KN filter charger, Dynomax cat back, Accel plugs and wires, Chromed '95 Cobra R's (bought for $19.95, now 2 are warped!
Our baby <a href="http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?1883">
topless tire fryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 02:26 PM   #6
PKRWUD

Sky,
I need a little more info from you. How dead is it? Have you checked the cables? Was the engine running when you heard the "BAM"? Is your starter all over your driveway?

First off, your starter solenoid (aka relay) stuck. Have you ever taken one of them apart before? Nothing more than an electromagnet that, when energized, overcomes spring tension, and slams a metal disk up against the top of the solenoid, connecting the battery post to the starter post. Over time, metal transfers, and the deposits get "sticky", kinda like the way a screwdriver might get stuck to the post when you try to start it with screwdrivers. Anyway, that's what happened. It must be replaced.

Now, onto the BAM. If the engine was running while the starter was engaged, it could have grenaded the starter. If it did, the cable going from the solenoid to the starter probably grounded out, shorting out the system at the weakest point, which would be the fusable links coming off the the solenoid.

I'll tell you what, I have to go run some errands, but I'll be back by 1:30 or 2:00. If you haven't figured it out by then, call me and I'll cruise up and have a look at it.

650-2663

Take care,
-Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: Peckerwoods Pit Stop

My teams site: Jim Porter Racing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN.
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 03:07 PM   #7
fiveohpatrol

wow, i may have actually diagnosed something correctly

I've got an idea chris, move to Indiana so when I have a problem you can stop by and help me

------------------
88 Notch, B&M Ripper, 3.73's, Ported E7's, Explorer int. w/ ported lower, pulleys, 1.7RR's, full exhaust,65mm TB, Nitto DR's, new best 1/4--> 13.42@106.18 (1.89 short time)
Old 11-07-2001, 04:30 PM   #8
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

if you run a 92+ starter it could be either the soloniod or the starter..when you get it going and it wont try to start then bang the starter soloniod..if this doesnt work then it cold be your soloniod on the starter..if you have a -91 then it would be the starter soloniod

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
AIM=onesillynotch
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 02:19 AM   #9
PKRWUD

Sky-
You never called and you haven't updated your post, so I figure you either solved it or the jack rolled out from under it in your driveway, pinning you underneath, and you're getting really pissed off right about now.

Fiveohpatrol-
Indiana?!?!? Yeah right! Where would I surf??? Man, what were you thinking!?!

Actually, I often wish we all lived in the same town because diagnostics online can be a ***** . Especially when the person you're trying to help omits a few of your instructions because they don't think they're necessary. Plus, it would put an end to all the bench racing that goes on here! Then again, that's half the fun!!

Take care,
-Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: Peckerwoods Pit Stop

My teams site: Jim Porter Racing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN.
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote