MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-09-2001, 08:51 PM   #1
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Red face Have you ever ALMOST wrecked your car?

I chuckle to myself when I think of this...

When I first got my motor in, after breaking it in, a friend and I were out cruising one night and we stopped to eat at the Waffle House. He had not yet felt the push of my car and I thought it was time he felt it. We left his car parked and left with mine.

This was when I had the V6 tires on the front and back (185/70/14), bad brakes, and a completely worn V6 suspension .

First I hit it at about 50 mph on a straightaway (felt oh so good). As I was slowing down to ~30 mph to make a right hand turn, I floored it (<--stupid)! The back end visciously broke loose and as I realized we were headed straight for the curb on the right (major fishtailing) at about 35-40 mph, I knew it would really hurt so I let off quickly and snapped it back to the left while slightly hitting the brakes (b/c I knew just applying the brakes would not get us stopped b4 hitting the curb at ~20mph or less). The back end then whips around to the right (close to 180 degrees) so we are literally sliding exactly side ways all the way across the street (in a diagonal direction) to the other side of the street headed straight for the ditch! It felt like we slid forever (I had all these thoughts of the car flipping over while all this was going on). Saw the ditch getting closer and closer and I was thinking, "Alright, that's enough. We can stop sliding now!" We stopped about 3 feet short of the ditch. *a few breaths of relief*

The car was still humming after we had come to a sudden halt. I peel out of there goin the opposite direction as the car was already aimed in the opposite direction on the opposite side of the road when the car stopped sliding (tryin to play it off )

I had the motor in the car only about 2 weeks and I almost totalled it. That would have really sucked doo doo. I'm just thankful there was no other car on the road that night at that time *whew* cause I would've had to pay for my car and the person's I hit. Needless to say, I learned my lesson THAT NIGHT as to what NOT to do with a fresh and vibrant 351W in a car with skinnies out back .

--As I'm writing this post, there is a mosquito biting me and I can't find it. It's really pissing me off!

-------------------------------
'79 Mustang Coup w/ 4" Cowl
Stock 5.8L, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup soon)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body

Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 09:09 PM   #2
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Yea man I know how you feel................about the mosquito not the car.
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 11:08 PM   #3
dinomite
The Dude

I was out with my friend, PGkelly, one night last winter and we were just driving around. We were a ways from home and it started to snow REALLY fast. I didn't want to stop or anything, that would be boring, so I just started going the quickest/flattest way home real slow-like. I wanted to see how slick it was so I just mashed the pedal quickly, not long at all! Got a little fishtail right, then left (expected), then we just did a 180, COMPLETELY out of control the whole time due to the almost inch of snow and ice on the road. SUPER scary at the time, but right after I was sooo pumped up cause that 180 parked me PERFECTLY next to the curb, going the wrong way, but perfectly parallel and inches from it.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 01:02 AM   #4
Tony Frank
Registered Member

I almost i had some luck, i did the exact same thing, only with my 2000 Ranger xlt 4 wheel drive. i slid all the way around crossing the other lane and into the ditch and rolled it, good thing it wasnt the mustang

------------------
1985 Mustang GT 15,000 original miles, cam, intake, headers, carb, windage tray, you know the goodies
Tony Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 08:26 AM   #5
88COBRA
STANGPOWER.COM

I was very close, not only to crash, but most likely death

I was driving on a rainy day down the highway, and I guess the car infront of me did not have lights on. All of a sudden I see the car. I try to avoid the car, which I do, but it spins me 720 towards the ditch. Well luckily I am a good driver I steer in the opposite direction and floor it. I hit the gravel but stayed out of the ditch.

That Car and Driver episode on advanced driving saved my life

Ian

------------------
Ian Sim
webmaster@stangpower.com
STORED: 1988 Mustang GT "Canadian Cobra", stock, AOD, loaded
LOTS OF PRODUCTS, AWESOME PRICES! Visit my site:
http://www.stangpower.com

88COBRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 11:22 AM   #6
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

I almost wrecked my Old 289 Stang one night while racing a Late 80's early 90's Gt 5.0 conv on the streets. I let off a little late in a turn and got a little squirly so I let off, he pulled ahead.

We got onto a straigt peice of road and I got back into the throttle and caught up real quick. I dove into the left lane to pass thats when I was quickly reminded of the curve dead ahead. Here I was approaching it at 100 MPH in a car that handled like a Radio Flyer Wagon with 3 wheels. I mostly let off the gas but not totally (Those cars have horrendous Wieght transfer, which can be real good during a launch, but real BAD speeding through corners) and rested my left foot on the brakes, Tapping them and applying a little more pressure each time.

I was right beside the GT when we enetered the curnve. THe rear of my car broke traction and began to slide to the right. At one point I was able to look out the side window and see where I had just came from. Tires Screeching in protest, smoke billowing out from the wheel wells. I basically did a drift at 80-90 MPH around a curve in an antique Mustang. I got her back straight, hit another LONG straight stretch and nailed it. Blowing by the GT like nothing. Shortly afterwoards, I pulled over because my Nerves were shot. I shook the whole night long after that and pee'd all alot. Not on myself though.

------------------
64 1/2 Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, 3:1 rear gear. Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 windsor valves, high side of 10.5:1 comp, 1.7:1 sled rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, autolite 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd.

64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Auto. project car.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 01:05 PM   #7
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

lol @ pee'd

I almost peed myself when I totalled my civic on I-81 this past December-like the 5th time I drove it. After 3 years of NO tickets in 3 mustangs, I get a !@#$%& improper driving in a 1.5L CIVIC BUBBLEBACK WTF!!!! lol

------------------
Elisha (Mustang Chick Extraordinaire)
1994 GT/Saleen: Cartech intake,4.10s, full exhaust, pulleys, Compucar nitrous kit 125 shot
Sold the 1986 LX sedan
http://www.geocities.com/mustangbelle_306
AOL name: GT306Chick

Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 03:25 PM   #8
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

In my 92 LX which was a good 11-10 second street car I was on my way to the local street races. It was about 9:30 - 10:00 at night as I left my neighborhood this local dork kid with a v6, who is always trying me, was trying to get me race him. I always blew him off because it wasn't worth my time. This night though I was feeling like putting the whoop down on him. So I give my car gas once or twice and he takes off. I floor it and catch up to him and let him pull away and I catch up to him just playing with him. Then I sprayed my car and got about 10-15 car lengths in front of him.

This is on a winding road in a developement community with a 40MPH speed limit. I was up to about 110MPH and coming up quick to a shopping center when a lady pulls directly out in front of us and didn't even look. She saw us coming quick and paniced by stopping at an angle across both lanes of traffic. I locked up my front tires, skinnies, and yanked the wheels to the right where there was a grass embankment with small trees lining it. I just missed her and slide up the hill just narrowly missing all the trees and corrected the car and ended up back on the road just before the next entrance to the shopping center which would have killed my rims and more.

My car rolled on to the pavement again I looked in the mirror to see the kid in the v6 slide to hault right next to the lady. She took off scared as can be and he had 4 trashed and flat tires. I kept going and headed out to the street races. This was probably about 5 years ago.

------------------
00 GT, MAC Offroad H, Steeda Pulleys, Steeda Timing Adjuster, FMS 4.10’s, Flows w/turndowns, UPR shifter, UPR subframes, UPR adj LCA’s (not installed), Air Filter, Lakewood 70/30 & 50/50, Weld Pro Stars, Nitto DR’s, 253.8 RWHP/292.8RWTQ
Best on DR's 13.09@103.92 (1.81 60ft)
Best on ET Drags 12.91@101.93 (1.74 60ft)
M/M 100
88 LX coupe X-FHP, 12pt Cage, UPR K-member, 31 spline rear, full spool (For Sale)

Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 11:03 AM   #9
RedLilPony
It's been awhile, huh?

Red face

My worst experience was when I rounded a corner and fishtailed. Sure it was a blast but what I didn't know was there was a guy and his truck on the side of the road hidden by the dark... When I came around in the fish tail, Beauty's nose was pointed straight at the man... and we were close. I had visions of smushing him inbetween cars... ughh, makes me sick. *barf*

------------------
Jodi
AKA PonyGirl
Red 68 GT Fastback and Black 99 GT Coupe
"Not your average Mustangs..."
PonyGirl

RedLilPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 11:15 AM   #10
Try Me
Registered Member

Talking

See Lizard King's "EXTREME BURNOUT".