MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-20-2003, 07:51 PM   #1
Mustangdon93
Registered Member

Default 4 cyl. engine mods...

My name is Don. I have a 93 LX with a 4cyl. wanting to do something different,I thought that I would build the small motor that is in the car.Is there any websites that deal with ford 4 cyl engines,maybe SVO parts etc..

The car itself is in excelent condition and would like to keep the car as close to "original" as I can. Any help would be helpful.

Thanks, Don
Mustangdon93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 09:50 AM   #2
Blue GT 5.0
Registered Member

Well, I can answer your thread very simply because I've been there before with the same kind of mindstate you're in. I bought my 93 four cylinder and wanted to beef it up a little. Let me be the first to tell you that these motors in a NA form will not make any kind of worthwile horsepower. If you ask anyone, the first thing out of their mouths will be the word "turbo". In that case, you'd be better off just buying a 5.0. I'll just list the few things that you can do that help add a few horses, but nothing that will kick your car in the butt.

1. Cold Air Induction- make a hommade Cold air kit out of PVC and get a K/N Panal air filter.

2. Better exhaust- get a header, and either ditch the cats or get high flow ones with free flowing mufflers like Dynomax's.

3. Engine Tuning- tune the motor by changing plugs, wires and other things along those lines.

4. Etc.- I think cams, and other things are available for 2.3's but are costly for what your gonna get out of them. Same with underdrive pulley's. Check out www.racerwalsh.com for some availbale parts for the 2.3 motor.

As far as keeping it original and modding it......I don't think so. 2.3's make good daily drivers but are not really worth modding unless you go the turbo route. Get a 5.0 or look into a turbo if you wanna mod yer 2.3 but if you want it original, just drive it.
Blue GT 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 06:58 PM   #3
Mustangdon93
Registered Member

Default 4 cyl..

Thank you for your reply.I am caught in the middle between swapping the whole thing out for a 5.0,or keeping that one stock and looking for a good GT.

Thanks again, Don
Old 02-23-2003, 04:41 AM   #4
Blue GT 5.0
Registered Member

Depending on your knowledge of these cars and the shape/mileage that your car is in, swapping a 5.0 may be within your reach. If the car has low mileage and the motor runs strong then don't swap it. Just look around and find a cheap 5.0 to mod and play around with. If it's gots some miles on it and the motor is played out in it, then look into a 5.0 swap. The 2.3 does make a good daily driver and winter car. I use mine for both. It's not the greatest in winter but it'll get around in snow with good tires, extra added weight, and a good driver. Maybe some of this will help you decide a little better.
Blue GT 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 12:04 PM   #5
Mustangdon93
Registered Member

Default 4 cyl..

Blue, Thank you for your reply. The car is in excelent condition with low miles.I do have a winter car...we all know these suck in the snow..lol Your right,it does make a good daily driver and it gets really good mileage. I think it would be more economical to just look for a used 5.0 if I was looking for a good hp car.
I thought just like building something different. I have a friend who has an SVO with turbo,and that runs great. I will keep you posted on whats up.Thanks for the help. Don