MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-02-2002, 07:45 PM   #1
mikeb89GT
Registered Member

Default New Mustang owner

Hey everyone. Been reading the board for a while now, and I have finally got my 89 GT. I have been wanting a mustang for a very long time. Now here is my first question. The guy that sold it to me said he was getting mid 13's on the track. From what I have been reading this seems unlikely to me. Seems like alot of people on this board with alot more mods than I have.
302 @ 306ci
full exhaust
shorty heads
pro 5 shifter
3.73 gears
K & N filters
mass air (could someone explain this to me)
and I think he said polished heads. As u may be able to tell I am just getting into this kinda of stuff (currently a computer geek ) Anyways what do u think about this setup. I may be missing things. Do u think that 13's are possible with this car?

Alos is there a way to tell if the stock cams are in it or aftermarket ones were added, he didnt know because he acquired the car from a relative.

Also what do u think I should do next, I would love to run it this spring.

Mike
mikeb89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 10:24 PM   #2
stanger8172
Registered Member

Computer geek? Oh we have some advice for you alright (just kidding)The only way I know of to affirm a cam swap is the way it idles and drives. If you are at idle and the car feels like it idles rough but the tachometer isn't jumping around then you might have a different cam. I would think the car would shake more at idle with a different cam.

I think the setup sounds capable of 13's. I don't know about the MID 13's though. If the alleged track time is so important you should have actually seen it do this. If it doesn't run a mid 13 take the car back to him
'91 LX convertible , T-5, Centerforce Dual Friction, MSD Blaster Coil, FR 9MM wires, 13* timing, 1.6rr, ported/polished/milled stock heads, 1.94/1.60 stainless valves, March Performance Pulleys, K&N panel, 1"spacer, BBK shorties, 2 1/2" off road H, Summit 2 1/2" catback
stanger8172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 10:26 PM   #3
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Mid 13's are definaly possable with a good driver.

The Mass-air meter measures the amount of air coming into the motor and allow the computer to add the right about of fuel. It is stock on all 89 up 5.0's(88 if it was a cali. car). You probably have a bigger mass-air meter.

Well first of all there is only one cam. A aftermarket cam will more than likley sound "lumpy". The only real way to tell would be to measure the lift and duration. I not sure how(with the engien put together) to do that. PKRWUD or someone else will prob. know.

I'd say get a intake and bigger throttle body next.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 10:29 PM   #4
Nitrous Al
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Mike, welcome to the 'board! Where are you from? Maybe someone from this 'board in your area can tell you exactly what you got.
Nitrous Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 11:02 PM   #5
mikeb89GT
Registered Member

Well I havent gotten to "really" drive it yet. Just got the car today.So Im not real sure about the "lumpy" sound as of yet.
I am from CT.Anyone from this board from the area?

Mike
mikeb89GT is offline   Reply With Quote