MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-13-2001, 01:10 PM   #1
FivepointOH
Registered Member

Post Ran a 93 cobra and a notchback

Going to my car at the movies from seeing american pie 2(very funny movie) I hear 2 cars burnout of the parking lot. I jump in the stang and go catch up. There they are at a light with some traffic in front... a red 93 cobra with a cowl hood and a saleen wing and a black notchback. Weave to the front of the traffic... 93 cobra wants to run first... We go from a 30mph roll he gets the jump and my damn car doesn't downshift into 1st it goes into 2nd so the rpms are a little low... the cobra pulls car instantly... once my rpms get up he pulls another half a car up to about 80... nice car it had at least exhaust, I was pleased he didn't beat me by more considering he had the jump. I tried to get him to go from a light... he went for a second and I pulled about a half a car off the line cause of the drs but he let off as soon as i started pulling... kind of annoying i wanted to get a good run in... i'm sure he would have reeled me in though... next the notchback wanted to go, sounded like he had an offroad pipe and some mufflers, dont know what else... we line em up going about 25 and I go first... car downshifts into 1st this time and I pull like mad on him.. had at least 3 cars to 90.... slow down and line up again going about 35... his passenger motions that he wants the go so i let him have it... i hear him go and my car only goes down to 2nd again, I still start pulling though and end up car and a half ahead by about 80... we where coming up to a police station in about 2 miles so we didn't go anymore... been getting into a few races lately... makes me want to mod the car again..

------------------
92 AOD GT, K&N, ram air, pulleys, 2 ch. flowmasters, 4:10's, shift kit, 1 5/8 mac longtubes and offroad hpipe 14.249 @ 97.34 mph before the headers and hpipe
FivepointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 02:11 PM   #2
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

I hope you're not just leaving the shifter in OD and mashing on the gas to get it to downshift.

I once had an AOD Mustang and here's a tip for getting it downshift to 1st gear.... When you pull it to 1st it sometimes only goes into second. If it goes into second (you can tell by the RPMS) hit the brakes and once your MPH drops enough the tranny will grab 1st gear. You'll feel it grab and when it does then you're ready to run. Don't race unless you're in the gear you want.

Do you know how to do the AOD shuffle?

------------------
Eric - 89 Mustang LX coupe
302 - Cobra Intake - GT40p heads - TFS stage 1 cam - FRPP 1.6 roller rockers - Naturally Aspirated
3:73 gears - KYB shocks and struts - Eibach springs - HPM Mega-bite Jr lower control arms - HPM upper control arms
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 02:21 PM   #3
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Haha!! I remember having to do the AOD shuffle. 1-d-1. It seemed to help my car out alot. If I wouldn't make the tranny hold second, it would shift at like 4500 rpm. Doing the 1-d-1, I could hold second as long as I wanted then shift to third. Those were the days...I kinda miss the 91 now

------------------
91 GT AOD: 14.71@91.78mph
SOLD!!
01 GT 5-speed on order: Ordered: 06/13/01
Build Date: 08/20/01
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 03:14 PM   #4
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Congrat's.

------------------
1989 GT, 3:55's, full exhaust, 4 in. hood, Pro 5.0, etc... etc...

1989 Chevy S-10, EX. Cab-383(500+hp on motor), trick flow heads, trick flow pistons, etc... autometer phantom gauges, "built" 700R4, roll cage, lexan back window, corbeau seats, R.H.S. 5 harnesses, Fuel cell, convo pro wheels, 15x14's with 29x18.5 M/T'S on back, 15x4's on front, nitrous, and so much more!

http://www.geocities.com/i8urvpr/JM.html
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 05:41 PM   #5
FivepointOH
Registered Member

Yeah I always manually shift my aod... it still doesn't shift down into the gear I want sometimes though... i'll have to try that braking thing and yes I know the aod shuffle too well.
Old 08-13-2001, 07:20 PM   #6
rbatson

When the time comes... make sure you get a non-lockup and a lentech valve body. I just got my car back from the tranny shop Thursday night. All I can say is DAMN!! Third was weak before, always tried to race in 2nd because when I hit 3rd I was done. Now I pull hard in 3rd and OD!! I got a switch that I hit to go into od, it is too sweet! I wish I had gotten this way before now

Good races..

------------------
Rick
My 89lx(updated 7/20/2001)
Sold
Old 08-13-2001, 08:11 PM   #7
Rev
Registered Member

FivepointOH, was this in Houston or College Station? I've just got to find you out one of these days so we can run.

BTW that "shuffle" has been necessary with Ford trannies since 1954 that I can remember, LOL.

Rev

[This message has been edited by Rev (edited 08-13-2001).]
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 08:20 PM   #8
'93GT
Registered Member

With 4.10s at 30mph what kinda rpms where you at you should have been fine in 2nd. Let me tell you one thing and for anyone else that has a auto, no matter what you do, you will not gain anything by trying to shift yourself. Your tranny is going to do what it wants. by time you do a shuffle of sorts the guy with the 5spd will be gone because he will not have to wait for his car to wind up and for the car to upshift itself after you just slowed down to down shift.

------------------
'93 Black GT
Pro 5.0 shifter, Mac exh, K&N cold air,
Jacobs ignition and Coil, Sport Suspension, Ram clutch
Cervinis Mach Ram air hood, Cooling Fan, Underdrives.
BBK headers, H-pipe. MSD wires, air pumpless, BBK clutch cable and quad

'93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 09:14 PM   #9
rbatson

93GT, you need to take a ride in my car. Also, I've beat stock t5 cars before when my car was stock, the auto is much easier to launch and is more consistent. If you know how to shift a manual... you will have handed a stock aod his butt though.

[This message has been edited by rbatson (edited 08-14-2001).]
Old 08-13-2001, 09:33 PM   #10
Rev
Registered Member

93GT is right to some extent about automatics in general. The Ford enineers want autos to shift "smooth". They do this by momentarily locking into two gears at the same time during the shift. That makes the clutches slip producing a "smooth" shift, also a slow shift.

A shift kit will stop that crap. If you really want control in an auto, then get a manual valve body. Me, I can live with the "shuffle" and the amount of control it offers. I do need the shift kit and the 2500 stall converter for my level of performance.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 12:52 AM   #11
FivepointOH
Registered Member

Rev i'm down in houston for another week and a half or so. Then i'm actually gonna be up in san marcos for the coming school year... if you've got some free time and want to run sometime in the next week or so... time and a place... anywhere along the beltway from 59 to 290 is fine with me and I know you always troll the feeder somewhere around there....send me an email fiveoh18@yahoo.com or a private msg if you want..

------------------
92 AOD GT, K&N, ram air, pulleys, 2 ch. flowmasters, 4:10's, shift kit, 1 5/8 mac longtubes and offroad hpipe 14.249 @ 97.34 mph before the headers and hpipe