MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-05-2001, 12:30 PM   #1
mustang-newbie
Registered Member

Post going from a V6 to V8???

hey guys....as you all guessed it, I am a newbie with this.

bought my first mustang off a relative, 2000 V6 Mustang. performance red, with white "mustang" stripe on bottom. love the look, but hate the speed.

is it possible to go to a bigger engine size?
I know it is, but what can I do?

i have a lot of money saved for this venture, and displacement is something I desperately need.

thanks,
me
mustang-newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 09:44 PM   #2
84-3.8convert
Registered Member

in my opinion you might as well sell it and buy the gt version, but if you are in seirious love with this cat then you need to replace the engine, exhaust, rear gears, ECM(electronic control module), almost all sensors, intake manifolds, new injectors, and just about everything else.
84-3.8convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 01:01 AM   #3
84stangLX

Glad to hear about your purchase! At least yours is the 2000 V6 with like 190hp i believe. swapping to a 4.6L SOHC engine would help power and put you in the high 13's in the 1/4 (depending on how you drive), but you'd basically have to swap more stuff over than it's worth. You'd be better off buying a GT if you absolutely want the V8. Does yours have a manual transmission or auto? If you want more speed to be able to keep up with and beat most V8's you could add a supercharger, dual exhaust, get the heads ported and polished, have bowl work done on the heads, custom burnt computer chip and 8.8" rear axle w/better gears and you should be able to keep up with and possibly beat most GT's. Adding a supercharger would give you the power of a V8 and would be cheaper on gas and insurance costs. You could try going to V6 enthusiast sites and see how fast people can get their V6's before you decide to junk yours...just an idea. If you want to convert over to a V8 still, the best idea would be to get a parts GT mustang to steal many of the parts off. Whatever you decide on, good luck!
Old 05-08-2001, 11:22 PM   #4
mustang-newbie
Registered Member

hey,

how about going to a bigger engine than a GT? is that possible as well, and how big have you heard of?
mustang-newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 02:55 AM   #5
84stangLX

The Mustang Cobra R comes with a 5.4L engine and a tremec transmission (i think this transmission) and it has a different hood for clearance. I also ran across an article awhile back about a guy who took the V10 6.8L engine out of a wrecked Econoline van as well as the trans and got it to work in his ex-V6 mustang and he said that it had tons of torque, went like crazy and was reliable as well as not that expensive to swap over.
actually here is the address: http://www.gulftel.com/vnomsss/topnews/mikearnett.htm
I'll actually post this as a new topic as well so other people who might not believe this can see.
Old 05-09-2001, 02:59 AM   #6
84stangLX

actually he used a cobra manual transmission...my mistake