MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-20-2002, 01:37 PM   #1
Joni
Registered Member

Angry New engine

I am on my third 3.8l engine paid for and replaced by Ford. My current engine started running badly a couple of weeks ago and I took it to the same dealer (now under new ownership) and they told me that the repairs ($1216.00) were not under warranty. I need 2 new injectors, an MAF, an MLP, a plenum gasket, and they need to clean my injectors.

The dealer told me that these things are not covered by my warranty. I've been told by someone else, that they should be warrantied -- that the new (rebuilt) engine had to have come with an intake which is part of the engine.

Go ahead, call me a blonde, but how does this engine/intake thing work?

-- and all this because someone left an air filter off my car the last time I had the oil changed.

Sigh.

Thanks,
Joni

Last edited by Joni; 06-20-2002 at 02:21 PM..
Joni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 09:43 AM   #2
GodStang
College Stanger

I think that it should be warranty. Ford here always scews me over. That is why I do my own work. The intake sits on top of the engine. The air tube takes air in. Throught the MAF and the throttle body into the upper intake and than down to the lower intake and to the engine. If you leave the air cleaner off it allows dirt into the engine and cause things to get clogged or scratch up cyclinders and bust other things. Who left the air cleaner off?
Old 06-24-2002, 06:28 AM   #3
98v-64jon
Registered Member

Default new engine

If Ford isn't going to replace the engine...the mechanic that left the cleaner off should be responsible. If it is an actual mechanic...they should have insureance for these kind of mistakes...afterall, it is thier fault.
98v-64jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 08:39 AM   #4
PKRWUD

Odds are, only the short block was replaced, rather than the entire engine. The short block is everything below the heads and the intake. Even if it was a long block (includes the heads), though, neither would cover the injectors, plenum gasket, or MAF. Also, you are going to have a hard time nailing down sombody for leaving the air filter off, and worse, proving that your replacement needs were caused by that. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do. The parts that you have that need to be replaced or serviced are parts that will require service as they age, and since they are probably original, you don't have a leg to stand on. I really am sorry to say this, and I do feel for you, but I figured you'd want the truth.

Good luck!!

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 10:05 AM   #5
Joni
Registered Member

Default new engine

Thanks Chris! I figured what you had to say was accurate. Fortunately, I have a friend who can do the work, and add a couple of other perks to the work for six to seven hundred dollars less than the dealer quoted me.

Thanks for your input.

Soon, the car won't even be "original" and I can begin to *upgrade*. ;-)

Joni
Joni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 11:33 AM   #6
PKRWUD

Cool! There are other forums here, besides this one, and they are really a lot of fun. I hope that you will continue to come back often and pay us a visit!

Good luck with your baby!

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote