MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-17-2001, 07:32 PM   #1
LXStallion
Registered Member

Post 4 vs. 8?

I have an '88 convertible that sports a 2.3L and I need to replace the engine. I want to know how hard it is to put the turbo motor out of an SVO or a turbo coupe in my car. Where do I find detailed instructions? Should I plan on buying the whole motor complete or adding the turbo to my motor? Where do I get the wiring harness or do I even need one? Where do I find aftermarket parts for these motors? Will I be happy enough with this combination to justify doing the mod over choosing the V8? What is the recipe to HP with these motors? As you can see I need some good advice!!!
LXStallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 09:48 PM   #2
84stang83zephyr

The problem is finding a turbo 4 cylinder donor car. If you get one it should be straight forward. If you decide on a V8 it would be cheaper to just trade in your car and get a 5.0 mustang. The ford 302 has alot more aftermarket support than a 2.3L and it will have alot more lowend torque. The 2.3L is good because it's light and is good if you want a car that handles (the whole idea behind the SVO mustang). If you go to www.racerwalsh.com they have alot of 2.3L performance parts and they're a really dependable company (i've had good experience with them). If i were you i'd try to find web sites with people who have done similar swaps because i don't think there's any "kit" you can buy to do it. another good site is www.kaufmannproducts.com. Good luck