MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-30-2004, 02:59 PM   #1
thomash85715
Registered Member

Default sluggish deceleration w/ manual trans

Hi: Just joined today! Last month I bought a 02 laser red coupe with 3.8 and manual trans. More often than not, the engine is very slow to spin down as I go up through the gears. I am going to tear the clutch out of this thing in no time if I can't match RPMs better. Dealer says: "this is normal, they all do it, it is an emissions thing." Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a service bullletin? I was thinking about putting a voltmeter on the air valve to monitor it while driving to see if it is getting weird signals or if it is not responding to correct signals. All help is appreciated. --Tom Higgins
thomash85715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 08:23 PM   #2
sjlawr
vlgeideyot

I have a 2001 3.8 with a manual tranny and I have the same problem; it drives me up the wall. Its worse with the airconditioning on. The dealer told me that it was normal too. I belive that the computer regulates the engine that way so the accessories get enough power (emmisions, alternator, ac, etc.) btw enjoy your new ride.
sjlawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 06:21 PM   #3
thomash85715
Registered Member

Default deceleration response

Hi: Well, I guess at least I know I am not alone. Thank you for insight. Another piece I read on internet suggested that emissions go off the chart during deceleration, and that the computer is working very hard to keep them low under those conditions. I wonder if when the oxygen sensor picks up high readings that the air valve is kept open to burn off all the extra fuel. I would not mind except that I am afraid of getting rear ended while I wait for the thing to spin down by impatient soccer moms in automatic minivans that are climbing up my tailpipe. What color is yours? Mine has no spoiler; I think it is the only one I have ever seen that does not have one. --Tom
thomash85715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 04:01 PM   #4
sjlawr
vlgeideyot

Mine is laser red too, but i have a spoiler. Check out my media galery for the pics. Enjoy your new toy
sjlawr is offline   Reply With Quote