MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-02-2001, 04:37 PM   #1
DAVISinLA
Registered Member

Question Suggestions on mods

Hi folks:

I’m new to this board having just found it while doing a “Mustang Performance” search.

I’ve got a stock 87 LX 5.0 convertible 5-speed -- about 67,000 miles -- and I'd like to make a few modifications.

I’m not looking for large HP gains, but I would like to tighten her up a bit and perhaps add a little “snap” in the process. In my initial research, it appears that headers, exhaust and suspension are a good first step. All mods have to be CA smog-legal. My budget is not unlimited, but not too tight.

I would appreciate ANY advice, opinions or direction. Brand names are welcome.

Also if you know of someone in the Los Angeles area who could perform these mods, that would be great.

Feel free to e-mail me directly at DAVISinLA@aol.com

Thanks in advance for you help,

Paul
DAVISinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 05:24 PM   #2
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Paul,

Let me first welcome you to the board. I know that you will find this to be best run, most informative board on the web...believe me, I've tried them all.

Anyhow, as far as your mods go:

You're on the right track. Remember that the 302 is in the most basic terms a big air pump. The easier air gets in and out, the more power the motor will make (assuming their is enough fuel and spark...and that shouldn't be a problem until about 350+ hp).

Exhaust:

A free flowing exhaust kit will improve performance and give you a great deal of enjoyment. Check out Flowmasters or Dynomax for a high quality cat-back system (~$170).

If you're needing to stay SMOG legal, you've gotta keep the cats on the H-pipe. However, look into a high-performance H-pipe with cats for some extra performance (~$200).

Headers are up to you...with stock heads, headers aren't so much of a big deal, but you might want to go ahead and invest in a pair of 1 5/8 shortie headers (BBK~$160).

Intake:

You've gotta let air in the engine as well, so up top, go with a 65mm TB and EGR spacer kit (MAC~$180).

Your stock intake will be fine until you dig into the engine a little more.

Drivetrain:

You've GOT to get a set of gears in that thing. Look into 3.55's or 3.73's. It's without a doubt one of the best "seat-of-the-pants" mods you can do (FMS gears + install=$300-$400).

Also, check into an aftermarket shifter for nice crisp and firm shifts. Pro 5.0 makes a nice shifter (~$150).

That just some basics....keep your eye on the boards for a lot of good tech information, and if you have a question, just ask.

--nathan

------------------
--silver_pilate

'91 GT, Built 306, Wolverine 1087 cam, ported Windsor Jr. Irons, and all the goodies...click the link to the left to see a full list of my mods...

Tried and True 302 Being Built to Outrun You! heh heh heh...
--Texas Panhandle--
Check out my site
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 05:36 PM   #3
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

I would also recommend a bit of suspension, by adding weld-in subframe connectors to tighten up the car a lot. This will improve handling immensly, as well as launching, and your car won't creak and groan going up curbs anymore. Underdrive pulleys are also a good idea for the money, one of the best gains you can get for about $100.

------------------
1991 LX Hatch 5.0L
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 07:43 PM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Wink

Here are my suggestions.

3.73's
cold air induction
underdrive pullies
G3 alternator upgrade
electric fans
hiflow H pipe
catback

Total for all those mods including the gear installation max $1200. Should cut your 1/4 mile down by no less than 3/4 of a second.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2001, 02:24 AM   #5
rbatson

My suggestion would be: K&N air filter and remove the silencer, gears(3.55 or 3.73), MAF 73 or 75mm, h-pipe w/cats and high flow mufflers(yours have probably had it already anyways). This would be the minimum, a cold air kit would be better.

------------------
Rick
My 89lx(updated 2/21/2001)
My 97 Cobra
Old 03-03-2001, 09:26 AM   #6
SLOWPONY
Registered Member

You should go with a 3.73 gear, shorty headers, race magnum mufflers, subframe connectors, roller rockers, a k&n, electric fan, cobra intake, a bigger mass air meter, and a 65mm tb.
SLOWPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2001, 10:00 AM   #7
DAVISinLA
Registered Member

Talking

I just want to thank you folks for taking the time to provide this info.

I'm putting the shopping list together.

I just picked up a copy of "5.0 Mustang" and simply cannot believe how much stuff is available for our cars.

Thanks again.

Paul

DAVISinLA is offline   Reply With Quote