MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-28-2005, 01:45 PM   #1
michaelc
Registered Member

Default swapping engine/tranny question

a couple of years ago i bought an 89 LX Mustang (4 cylinder, auto tranny). the car ran and the body is in fairly good condition. no dents on the oustide, needs a new hatch lock and shocks and the interior needs replaced. no biggie. the biggest problem is the transmission is shot. the lady i bought it from apparantly ran it without fluid for far too long. it wont shift into 3rd gear now. anyway, i bought it as a fixer upper and i learned a lot about working on engines with this car.

recently i bought a 95 Thunderbird with the V-8 engine. the engine and transmission runs fine on this car. I let my sister borrow it and she ended up wrecking it twice so that the front end is all dented and the rear passenger side is crashed up quite nicely.

so that got me thinking about possibly moving the engine and tranny from the t-bird into the mustang. im pretty sure i will also need to replace the rear end as well as most of the electrical system (computer, etc). so now im wondering two things:

1) as far as just swapping the engine and tranny, what all else would i need to replace on the mustang to accomodate this new bigger engine and bigger tranny. im assuming fuel pump and stuff but i just dont know for sure

and

2) what all from the parts im going to need can i get from the T-bird. time really isnt an issue as im going to use this as a learning process as well. can i use the t-birds fuel pump, rear end, computer, etc?

thanks in advance
mike
michaelc is offline   Reply With Quote