MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-04-2001, 12:52 PM   #1
cordoba
Registered Member

Question in-tank filter

My 85 Mustang runs fine for in-town driving but on the highway, it just won't climb to 60 or 70 mph. Something is holding it back and I think that it might be the filter in the gas tank. I've already replaced the filter in the engine compartment. Any advice on how to get to that filter or other suggestions on fixing this problem?
cordoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 03:05 AM   #2
84stangLX

I have a problem of a fuel restriction and when i go on extended drives the car will run leaner and leaner until it dies and it also dies when i gun it after a little while of driving. Does your car actually die? If it won't go over 60 or 70 (which is real bad) then it would be understandable for the problem to occur under acceleration. Does your car lack alot of power as well? Have you checked your timing -initial and mechanical/vacuum advance- , if it's retarded enough (if the advance mechanisms don't work) especially if the advance springs in the distributor don't work or the vacuum advance diaphram has a leak the car will hit a certain rpm/load and then be gutless. You can check with an adjustable advance timing light how much timing you have. Have someone rev your car to 2500 rpm and adjust the light until the mark hits 0* (i believe) and you should have around 30* of timing at least. Good luck!

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
My car
Old 07-08-2001, 06:52 PM   #3
Mark McDaniel
Registered Member

The only way to get to the fuel screen in the tant is to drain the tank and drop it. Get a good repair manual before doing any maintenance on the car and follow all safety precautions, remember your dealing with
explosive fuel vapors and liquid.

------------------
Mark McDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote