MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-27-1999, 12:23 AM   #1
Sparky
Registered Member

Default Is there a kit to remove the air silencer on the 2.3L T-bird TC?

The 5.0 guys first upgrade is to remove the air box or air silencer with a conical shaped filter by outfits like K&N. It looks like one of these would fit on the 2.3L turbo but they never advertise that it does. Has anybody had any success removing the air box? I have an '87 Bird.

Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-1999, 12:14 PM   #2
Mad Horse
Registered Member

I think you some things confused Sparky. Yes, we remove the air silencer but that isn't the air filter box. The Silencer is behind our air box and in between the fender walls. My brothers 86 T-bird 3.8L doesn't have an air box or an air silencer. Instead it has like a big tube going down in between the fender walls almost like a ram air and for the filter box it has one of them round housings in the center like a carb. engine has. So to answer any of your questions..I'm sure you could find a K&N filter to fit in your air filter element but as for the air silencer I'm not sure if you have one. I'd advise you to check by following you air tubing to the fender and looking up in between your fenders to see if there is one. If so go ahead and remove it. Hope I helped..
Mad Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-1999, 10:57 PM   #3
Sparky
Registered Member

Thx for info - I guess I did think the air filter box was the silencer. I've seen these filter kits 5.0s where a conical shaped filter is mounted right on the MAF sensor. That is what I'm really lookin' for.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-1999, 10:11 AM   #4
grogan
Registered Member

I took the air silencer of my 92 four cylinder
It basically works the same as the other cars take the filter box off and remove a bolt and your done.
grogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-1999, 10:52 AM   #5
blue oval 50h
Registered Member

I have an 86 TC as well as a 88lx. I removed the silencer box on the turbo coupe and air filter assembly for a conical K&N. Ill try to get the Part# i used. The boost seems to be alot smoother too.
blue oval 50h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-1999, 03:43 AM   #6
Topless 86
Registered Member

On a Mustang the silencer is to stop the sound on air being sucked into the motor.
On my 88 T-bird there is no silencer. The air box has a tube that sticks through the fender and sucks fresh outside air. The air box can be removed and a cone filter instaled. However, personlly it is a step backwards because there is no easy way to block out the hot air from the engine. On a turbo car heat is your worst enemy. If you want more air flow first buy a k&n filter for the box, If this is not enough Rapido (541)-544-3333 sells a duel snorkel air cleaner lid for the factory air box. ($90)

Hope this helps.
Topless 86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: