MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-28-2002, 07:39 PM   #1
Stang City
Registered Member

Angry 3.8 Whoas!!!

Our 3.8 just turned 114000 Kms (70,000mi) and has developed a piston slap requiring a replacement engine. according to our dealer, this is not uncommon at this milage, and any attempts to get assistance from ford is met with the usual @#$^! One wonders why any car manufacturer can turn out such garbage and still sell cars. We just finished replacing the water pump, timing cover gaskets, and upper manifold gaskets, now this. what a great statement about fords. Unfortunately we love the car otherwise, and now don't know how to proceed, since a new 3.8 costs over $4500.00cdn, and is the same crap as the original. Switching to the more reliable V8 requires just too many modifications. All I can say is if you're considering purchasing any stang, stay well away from a V6!
Old 04-28-2002, 08:06 PM   #2
GodStang
College Stanger

Switching to a v-8 is very simple. Very cheap too. Could do it for $1000 bucks. There is not many mods you have to do. I have replaced the timing chaing, thermostat, head gaskets, and other stuff, but I am at 140,000 miles. So it has held up nice for me.
Old 04-28-2002, 09:38 PM   #3
Stang City
Registered Member

Question V8 Simple???

As I see it, you'd need to change the entire running gear including suspension, cooling, brakes, tranny, rear end, etc. Some one suggested buying a wrecked GT, but then I'd be further ahead just repairing that. I work for a Ford Dealership, so tend to know what's involved in contemplating a V8 changeup, not even getting into steering/suspension geometry when adding a couple of hundred odd pounds to the front end of a lighter V6 and all that stuff. Thanks for your idea, but V8's tend to be best in platforms designed for V8's.
Old 04-28-2002, 10:01 PM   #4
99Pony3.8
Registered Member

Check out MPS (http://www.stangparts.com/) - they are selling used 3.8 engines for $750. I've bought from them before, they are very reputable, but I don't know the condition of the engine. It is most likely from a wrecked Stang. Here is their description ---
'99-'00, 3.8L, V6..our engines come complete from top of intake to oil pan..without front accessories. NO COD, THIS ITEM HAS AN ADDITIONAL $35.00 HANDLING FEE AND WILL BE SHIPPED TRUCK FREIGHT. CALL FOR SHIPPING QUOTE***
Old 04-28-2002, 10:28 PM   #5
Stang City
Registered Member

Talking Thanks But...

Thanks for the info, but I'm in Canada where our dollar is worth way less than yours (.60 to your $1.00). Also the shipping would kill me even if I could import the darn thing. taxes, duty, etc. would be more expensive than gold plating my current boat anchor, hee,hee. I do have a line on a nice 3.8 out of a 98 cougar which will drop in directly to my car with no mods other than switching the top end, accessories, and exhaust manifolds. I think it's the logical choice, and when we do the swap we will change the head gaskets and such as a precaution given the problems associated with this area in the 3.8.
I'll keep my fingers crossed, in regards to our "problem child" and hopefully we'll get a period of trouble free motoring this summer.

Thanks for your help, I'm sure it would've been ideal if I lived in the southern USofA.
Old 04-29-2002, 10:10 AM   #6
GodStang
College Stanger

I am guessing you are looking to switch to a 4.6L as far as v8's. I am not sure what year your car is. If you put a 5.0 in the transmission is the same, the fan is the same just a different speed moduel. Rear end, Transmission, and brakes are all the same from a 5.0 GT to a 3.8l from 1994-???. You may want to look into that. When I buy new parts for my car I just buy GT parts. They tell you they do not fit but they work great for me. Just a thought.
Old 04-29-2002, 06:28 PM   #7
Stang City
Registered Member

Wink Thanks!

We have a 94. A 5.0 would be nice... Hmm. there must be some front end changes as well, I've heard you'd need to change at least the front spindles, but I'm not sure where one would find the info as to what else would be needed to be changed to allow the swap.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:47 AM   #8
GodStang
College Stanger

Stang City I sent you what you need for the change. As far as suspinsion as long as yours is not totally shot you should not have a problem. It is bout like having a big girl sittn next to you in the car as far as the added wait of the V-8. If anyone want to know abouot the swap please ask. I hope this stuff is helpful.
Old 05-15-2002, 08:07 PM   #9
Stang City
Registered Member

Question I coulda had a V-8???

After some research, we've decided to go with another V-6 a 3.8 out of a 98 cougar with all steel heads and block. I checked into installing a V-8, but there's more to it than it would seem, including a lot of hours which would not work what with our needing the stang as a daily driver. I work at a Ford dealership, and in converstaions with our shop foreman have discovered a lot of hidden work in what seems like a simple drop in including as a start, computer, complete wiring harness, tranny, rear end, and lots of other items too numerous to mention. It would be easier just to buy a GT and be done with it rather than go into the hassles of converting. The cost is about the same when all is said and done and gee... you've actually got GT...not a wanna be. As it happens one of oooour employees has a low milage 97 Cobra he wants to sell this fall, and I'm going to buy it. We'll keep the V-6 for my wife to enjoy, and I'll be herdin the snake as soon as the snow melts in the spring!

Thanks for all the info, guys, but we'll keep the six a six, although there is a supercharger... Hmmm.