MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-02-2003, 12:03 PM   #1
pullenr
Registered Member

Question Rapidly Flashing Theft Light

I am having problems with my 98 3.8L Mustang starting occassionally. When I insert the key into the ignition and turn it to start the theft light starts flashing rapuidly and the engine will not turnover. Most of the time if disconnected the battery and reconnected it the car would start. I replaced the battery after the original was tested and found to be bad. This seemed to solve the problem, but yesterday I took it to a muffler shop because my headers were leaking on the passenger side. When they tried to start it to drive it into the work bay the same thing happened and now it will not start at all. I tried everything in the manual and even disconnected the battery, but to no avail. I have a performance chip in it, dual exhaust with mac headers, flowmaster mufflers, forced air induction, and underpulleys. Any advice on what the problem may be and how to get it started would be appreciated. Thanks.
pullenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 12:08 PM   #2
mustang_amber
Registered Member

Call your local ford dealer... Mine did the same thing. It had to do w/ the chip in the key. Mines a 98 3.8L to...
1998 V6 Supercharged: mods include: 75mm mass air, 57mm t-body, 3:45gears w/ t-lok, diablo custom burned performance chip, oh and a vortech s-trim supercharger
mustang_amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 10:25 PM   #3
7DMACH1
Registered Member

The car is going into theft mode. Someting is wrong with the Pats key system. Go to your Ford Dealer, they are the only ones that can fix it. RAY
7DMACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 02:25 PM   #4
MissBlondie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mustang_amber
Call your local ford dealer... Mine did the same thing. It had to do w/ the chip in the key. Mines a 98 3.8L to...
Yes, I had the same situation a few years ago with an older stang I had. The same thing, something wrong with the key.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:25 AM   #5
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

do you have a spare key? If so, try starting it with that. Also make shure you dont have one of those mobil speedpass deals on your key chain, because sometimes that can interfere also.

Is the car completely dead, or does it turn over and not start?
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote