MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-24-2006, 09:53 AM   #1
WIKD
Registered Member

Default Tranny question

Hey Guys I'm new here and figured I should say hello first. I own a 88 Mustang LX with the 2.3 that I just swapped a month ago for another, less mileage and no knocking, motor. I now have a weird trans problems among some other gremlins. In the morning after start up the trans will not shift out of 1st unless I pull the shifter down into 2nd. Then it will not shift from 2nd to 3rd until I drive for about a mile or two in 2nd. If I try to manually shift it to 3rd it almost feels like it goes back to first but really feels more like it just slips. After a mile or two I can shift it into 3rd and all is well. Trans will shift normally until you turn the car off and let it sit for a few hours. Any ideas?
WIKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:58 PM   #2
Shopteach
Registered Member

Default Re: Tranny question

I'm not certain if these transmissions use a vacuum line or not. It sounds like symtoms of a leaking vacuum line to me. Look for a line running from the transmission to the intake manifold or the tree mounted on the firewall.
Shopteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 07:03 PM   #3
WIKD
Registered Member

Thanks teach. It does have a line from the modulator to the vacuum tree. I am hoping that is the culprit also. About an hour ago I replaced the small amount of rubber vacuum line because it seemed swollen. Find out tomorrow if it worked.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:38 AM   #4
WIKD
Registered Member

Vacuum didn't fix it. Was told by someone that dirt in the governer causes this but needs to be rebuilt to cure. That's like $1000 and I don't think the whole car is worth it. Might just have to live with the problem.