MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-16-2002, 02:16 AM   #1
fordkid68
Registered Member

Default what to do

ok I am buying A 66 mustang from my older brother. it is in sorry shap but that why I am buying it. it's A 6cyl but I want to convert it over to 8 after I get the body and interior fixed up. so what I want to know is what can I do to the 6cyl 200ci engine to give it more horses until my v8 comes along. I am really looking at carbs and exhaust. I have never seen A manifold for A 200ci engine that will take A 2v carb. so whats out there on that issue. and do flows help performance I thought they did but then I heard they can cut performance down.

sorry for the spelling it's late and I just got off work.

thank for all that help.
ford kid
fordkid68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 11:14 AM   #2
GodStang
College Stanger

Do not know much about the old v-6's but I would look at holly Carbs and see what the have. Flowmaster will increase horsepower unless you get too big of pipes. You have to have a certian amout of back pressure or you will lose HP. The new ones if you go over 2.5 inch exhaust you will lose horsepower instead of gaining it. Well good luck and tell us how is comes out. Also get magizaines they will also help from ads and other stuff.
Old 02-16-2002, 11:30 AM   #3
fordkid68
Registered Member

hey thanks for clearing that up on flowmasters. I always thought the biger the pips the better.

would you guys recomend any magizaines.

thanks
ford kid
Old 02-17-2002, 05:28 PM   #4
GodStang
College Stanger

Different places have different magizanies. I would go and read the index at the store and see if anything might help you. Also Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords have good tips and good ads to find where to buy things at. Hope this helps.
Old 02-17-2002, 08:51 PM   #5
fordkid68
Registered Member

hey thanks- I am going to subscrib to fast fords.

thanks
ford kid
Old 02-21-2002, 08:31 PM   #6
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Go to www.cliffordperformance.com they have lots of stuff for the 140/170/200/250 family of engines.
As for your intake manifold, i had an '83 zephyr (with the 200 straight 6) and the intake manifold was welded to the head (it was a bar) and if yours is similar then there's nothing you can do to increase flow except make your own intake manifold. The 250 cylinder head had a larger intake manifold "log" that flowed a little more and could probably be picked up for cheap.

Exhaust work would be a good way to go considering how restrictive the exhaust is and as for a 2 barrel carburetor, clifford sells adapter plates to change the stock 1 barrel to a 2 barrel.
You can pick up a header or split headers for an arm and a leg and have custom exhaust made, but it's not really worth the money. You could also have the stock head extrude honed (www.extrudehone.com) so it can actually flow something that doesn't smother the engine as much.

I know a guy who restored a prototype shelby mustang GT200 (straight six) and the stock intake was cut off and a new one put in it's place.

There's not a whole lot you can do to make power with those engines since they're so gutless it's not really worth your time to try and make one fast because anything you do without major changes to the intake won't yield you a whole lot of power for your dollar.

Good luck,

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote