MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Hatch Noise (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=30916)

Rosco 11-07-2002 01:13 AM

Hatch Noise

Is there anyway at all to tighten up the hatch at all? I've noticed even more now since i've gotten my mufflers put on that it'll rattle and rattle and shake. It's actually more the right side then the left. Honestly I can actually pull lightly on the back right side and it'll move up about 3/4". It's gettin really really annoying exspecialy over bumps. Guys got any ideas?

TMASTER 11-07-2002 01:23 AM

check

Have you replaced the plastic bushing for the striker? Also does it have the rubber bumps that position the trunk? Check to see if your weatherstripping is wore out. Check your hinges also see if there alighned correctly. These could all cause noise. Its a hatchback, most hatchbacks are gates for noise, why do you think Fords only making Trunks on there mustangs now :)

jj_jonathon 11-07-2002 01:23 AM

Industrial strength glue.

Rosco 11-07-2002 11:04 AM

Lol...stupid hatches...yeah the rubber is there...not really sure what i should do about aligning though. I've noticed something else now too. The whole hatch moves up and down, when it's set in. The round thingy ( i have no idea what it's called ) that the hatch locks to..Seems like it should be moved down...either that or the lock piece on the hatch itself isn't holding it all the way down.. Any ideas what to look for or do?

jj_jonathon 11-07-2002 12:55 PM

Well obviously you dont like the adhesive idea, so just bolt the thing shut and use some caulk to seal it....and while youre at it, use some glue... :D:D

...anyways....was the thing ever in an accident? even just a little one that might have bent the frame a little? that fubars verts badly...our 90GT's top comes down crooked....takes soem effort to latch the left side and the windows dont line up with the top 100%...doesnt have to be a large accident either....

Rosco 11-07-2002 02:14 PM

No it's actually never been in an accident. I'll hafto look at it when i take it off the road. I might actually have some time then. Yeah...unfortunatly I don't think my sound system helps out at all with possibly moving it around.

Agent_4573 11-07-2002 06:37 PM

That round thing should be adjustable. Just loosen it up with a hex head/star head wrench i forget what kind of wrench it is. Then it should just slide down a little. I remember i adjusted the one on my passenger door when i replaced that cuz it wasn't shutting all the way. A new set of hinges might help to, i know mine are wearing out, I'm just too lazy to buy new ones.

Comatose 11-07-2002 10:04 PM

The hatch striker is not only adjustable up/down, but also left/right. It might take several adjustments to get the hatch to shut tight w/o any squeaks. Slowly close the hatch and watch carefully for any movement left/right, if there is any movement, adjust accordingly.

I had to move the striker down and left to get the hatch to shut tight on my 86'.

Later,

Jeremiah