MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Does anyone have a fiberglass hatch (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=21264)

89hatchbackGT 03-26-2002 07:46 PM

Does anyone have a fiberglass hatch

My question is do the fiberglass hatches have any king of support for mounting spoilers? And also do they use the regular glass window or plexiglass?

82 GT 03-26-2002 10:18 PM

I don't see why you couldn't mount a spoiler on a fiberglass hatch.
As for the type of glass, I would imagine they would require plexiglass.

avbcon12 03-26-2002 10:33 PM

ive always heard that there isnt a fiberglass hatch that is made yet strong enought o support the stock glass. i was looking into getting one but i want to keep the glass. so i decided against it. you can mount the spoilers on them though.

i was wondering if you could somehow stiffen the fiberglass hatch with some sort of fabricated frame to go with it. but still havent thought of how yet....

take care,
adam

exgmguy 03-26-2002 11:06 PM

I have a glass hatch on my car. It takes the stock glass just fine, except I have to glue the mouldings back on because the factory clips are riveted to the steel hatch. I had to drill some holes for my spoiler as well.

I got mine from Cobra Auto Designs. Don't buy one from them. It too almost 3 months to get it after they instantly charged my credit card. I would pay the extra 50 bucks and get a Cervini's.

speedytang 03-26-2002 11:28 PM

HO Fibertrends also sells a hatch and it is great quality. You do not need to glue the moldings down either. All you do is remove the old clips, measure 1/8" down from the lip and use self tapping screws and mount the clips. The clips are spaced a certain distance so just flip your molding upside down and mark the location which on your molding is a cut out which you will see what I am talking about when you flip the molding. This process which I have done on 7 hatches for mustang owners in my area takes about 20 minutes and the molding looks factory with no glue or bent up molding.

avbcon12 03-27-2002 08:09 AM

do you guys with the fiberglass hatches drive on the street? i would have liked to put one on my almost daily driven (summer only) GT. everyone used to tell me that there would be too much vibration causing too much wear. especially with the weight of the stock glass in it.

please explain, thanks.
adam

speedytang 03-27-2002 08:40 AM

In my area which is Ohio, 100 degrees in the summer and 20 below and ice storms in the winter I and others have used the fiberglass hatches for many years with no problems. My fibertrend hatch probably weighs as much as a steel one so dont purchase to save weight.

82 GT 03-27-2002 04:40 PM

How can a fiberglass hatch weight almost as much as a steel one?
What would be the sense of getting one then? If I bought one, I would also get plexiglass instead of using the glass.

89hatchbackGT 03-27-2002 04:42 PM

main reason i need one is my old one has rust under the lip area and its spreading pretty fast.

82 GT 03-27-2002 11:38 PM

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just repair the rust.......unless you are set on a fibergalss hatch.

speedytang 03-27-2002 11:49 PM

Rust is the reason and if your trying to save weight your working on the wrong end of the car. Alwas save weight in front first then move to the back and till then have a fiberglass rust free hatch.