MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Parts Donation From 97 Mountaineer to 89 Fox (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=48682)

Bluefox 07-17-2006 12:47 AM

Parts Donation From 97 Mountaineer to 89 Fox

I would Like to Know what parts I can Swap from a 1997 Mercury mountaineer that I have just sitting around to my well used 1989 Supercharged Fox.

the Mountaineer is a 5.0l 2wd works very well

the mustang has seen better days I want to swap the engine and possibly the rear end.

Has Anyone done this? I was hoping they might share some of the same parts. like the block and rear end. as to everything bolts up

Can any one point me in the right direction

I am told my mountaineer is not worth very much even though it is in good condition I can't even get 2000.00 for it

So I am just going to part it out take the stuff that will swap over and get rid of the rest. It will be ashame to take a perfectly good SUV apart but I feel I have no choice.

Thanks in advance
Don

tmoss 07-17-2006 07:18 AM

Re: Parts Donation From 97 Mountaineer to 89 Fox

You can use the entire engine's major parts. The engine has hyper pistons, but if your tune is good, that should not be a worry. It may have a 3G alternator you can put on the stang too. The 8.8 carrier should slip into your car if the ratio is better than the one you have.

Bluefox 07-17-2006 12:48 PM

Thanks for the help greatly appreciated.
Now to find out what to do with the rest of it.

tmoss 07-17-2006 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluefox
Now to find out what to do with the rest of it.

ebay the parts for a while. Prob have to keep a rolling chasis to get it to the JY.

Bluefox 07-17-2006 12:53 PM

The mountaineer has a good automatic transmission Sadly I don't know what the model is would anyone know off hand. (I got to get a book on that thing )

anyway my fox has a five speed so I don't need that either. Could it be used in a mustang? (might help in selling it or trading it for another 5sp for my car)

I am new to the whole ford family. but I catch on quick.

again thanks for the help

Coupe50h 07-22-2006 12:44 AM

The explorer/mountaineer have good intakes, you will find alot of us use those intakes, the whole motor is good, and will bolt right in. However i would'nt use the cam, While the motor was out, i would put something in a little bigger, the valvetrain and cam are designed for low end torque, and power would probaly die out around 4k....good luck

Bluefox 07-25-2006 01:10 PM

Thanks for the insights to this demolition of a mountaineer. And words of encouragement. Does anyone ues the ignition system from an explorer. or just stay with aftermarket like MSD.

Unit 5302 07-27-2006 11:30 AM

I don't know what you're running on your '89. What I can tell you is that the Mountaineer's engine comes with:

GT-40P heads
Explorer Intake (Basically a GT-40/Cobra Lower with a slightly less aggressive Explorer Upper.)

The camshaft is very docile so you shouldn't expect to get much performance from it. The Mountaineer pistons are dished, I believe, which is why the compression ratio is lower than the 5.0HO engine that came in the Mustang's would be with the GT-40P heads.

The Explorer/Mountaineer block casting is also a little different than the HO Mustang blocks, if I remember right.

tmoss 07-27-2006 02:42 PM

block is the same - you'llhave to use the Stang oil pan, timing cover, accessories, stuff like that.

Bluefox 07-28-2006 12:46 PM

I have updated my signature so you can see what I have done to my stang. My next goal is to post some pics of the car to show you all what I am working with.