MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Super Frustrated In Miami! Help! (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=43773)

sleeper_stang_2000 08-04-2004 11:16 AM

Super Frustrated In Miami! Help!

I have a 1991 GT vert auto. I can't find what on earth is wrong with my car. When I start it , it idles fine and takes me wherever I want to go. The moment I turn the engine off and try to start it again IT WON'T! It's as if I ran out of gas (the engine cranks over fine but won't completely start).....what can it be? It has no problem whatsoever starting cold....PLEASE HELP!!!!!! If anyone knows of a good shop here (besides Steeda) please let me know....

88fivepointoh 08-04-2004 02:16 PM

Could be your TFI Module (ignition module) on the distributor. Its a comon suspect in all ignition related issues, they have many simptoms when they go bad. Does the car run great before you shut it off? Also the fuel pump relay could be bad, when it doesn't start, try to listen if you can hear your fuel pump prime up. if it doesn't then your relay could be bad. check these out then get back to me.

mustangII460 08-04-2004 02:51 PM

Ditto on the TFI.

AND DON"T BUY ONE AT AUTOZONE!

88fivepointoh 08-04-2004 03:11 PM

You got it, NO AUTOZONE... They suck.. go to ford if you need one right away, or for a great one, either the holly anihalator or the dyna mod.. 5.0 magazine is great for the dynamod, and summit for the holly, costs 55 bucks.. lifetime warranty too.

sleeper_stang_2000 08-04-2004 05:10 PM

The car runs fine until I shut it off. When I try to restart, the fuel pump does prime. Going to buy the TFI module and see if the problem continues.

88fivepointoh 08-04-2004 05:12 PM

yep I bet my paycheck on the TFI...

lxfiveoh 08-04-2004 09:26 PM

Does this happen 100% of the time?

Have you started your car, driven around the block once or twice, then shut it down to see if it fails to start?

The TFI failure is usually associated with the TFI module overheating and not being able to dissipate the heat. If your car exhibits the 'no start' symptom even if both restarts are "cold," this might not be the culprit...

???

88fivepointoh 08-04-2004 10:21 PM

The only way the TFI overheats is if:

A. the TFI is bad
B. there is no heat sink compound on the back of the TFI
C. the distributor has a bad ground.

Either way replace that TFI if its the original the stock ones suck!

Thats why ford recalled them all for replacement.

sleeper_stang_2000 08-05-2004 07:41 AM

The car ALWAYS starts when cold.....it NEVER starts hot....I hope it's the TFI module....

Capri306 08-05-2004 03:21 PM

Anyone ever think of a malfunctioning ECT? Engine coolant temperature sensor, in Engrish. Could be leaning out the startup mixture and cause a no-start.

I'd check for problems in this order:
1. A hot, blue-white spark from the coil. If not, check:
a) TFI module
b) ignition coil and wires
c) power and ground connections
2. Fuel pressure

TFI's usually go at or around the 100k mile mark, anyway. My experience has shown that ANY ignition module will start to F-up regardless of age if the spark plug wires haven't been changed regularly. Why? Because when the coil "fires", and it has no place to go; all that energy has to go somewhere, and the module is the ususal victim. Those transistors can only take so much, and there's a hefty amount of potential power coming back off of that giant inductor we call an ignition coil.

That being said, the lack of HEATSINK COMPOUND (not dielectric grease, that's used in lightbulb sockets) or extreme overheating can cause failure too, as was mentioned above. I've never had a module from AutoZone go bad, FWIW. ALL of the components I've purchased there have and still are completely functioning. Maybe I'm just lucky. :p

Okay, that's my .02. I backup what most have said here. :)

88fivepointoh 08-05-2004 05:47 PM

How did u make out with the car?

rwhite65 08-05-2004 06:35 PM

no to autozone with anything electrical. My replacement headlight switch just decided to catch my dash harness on fire one evening when I turned the lights on.....never again.
Ryan

bigred90gt 08-05-2004 09:06 PM

Before you spend the money and buy a new TFI, just take out the existing one and have them test it. They test it for free.