View Single Post
Old 12-22-2001, 01:55 AM   #45
Paluka21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RevinRx7
Well for palukas points about it, Most motor companies ended their research on the rotary engine because of the energy crisis in the early 70's.
And yes i will agree with you on the point of third gens being bad. The 3 catalytic converters that mazda had to put on the 3rd gens caused so many boost spikes that it litterally blew the turbo's at 70k.

And as for the V8 conversion, say hello to hella torque. only problem is lots of frustration in puting it in and still very unreliable. Not to mention throwing off the whole 50/50 weight balance of the car.

But as for whoever said that whole thing about most of the car being about the driver is right. And i have too admit my car has plenty of soft points which i'm sure your cars are no where near to rivaling(not being sarcastic) but what can i say? The rotary engine grabbed me by the throat before any v8's could.

By the way i know how unreliable RX-7's can be. i'm almost 18 and already on my second one looking for a third. my first one blew its apex seals.
I was wondering what happened to the rotary in the covette. See I always thought that they couldnt get rights to the motor, as mazda didnt have rights to it at that point either. ( from what I understood, but I could be wrong ) Either way a 3 or 4 rotor corvette which is what I thought it was supossed to be would be hella fast.
boost spikes, yeah..hehe I've heard my friends talk about them alot. The one guy who blew up his motor had a manual boost controller on the car, and was actually wanting the stock pills back so he wouldnt be getting boost spikes in cooler weather, as supossedly if the rotory motor goes lean at "ALL" its **** outta luck. Which is why I assume they throw flames when they have a straight exhaust. ( yep I've been there, my car is running WAY too rich )
I actually thought an LT1 V8 conversion would put the car at a near perfect 50/50 weight distribution, in a 3rd gen that is. My buddy said there have been people who've done it w/ success and it gives the car more wieght in the front where the 3rd gen needs it, as the lt1 motor only weights slightly heavier than the rotory. But ,this is just what he was telling me. However I can imagine that it would accelerate like mad, LT1 motor has 275 hp at the crank stock you put that in a 2800lb car w/ all that torque, its gonna more than likey be a high 12 second car, low 13's at the worst. seems to be very easy to make fast.
And yes, it seems that the RX7 performance has to do w/ driver, seems easier to launch a mustang since it has good torque, but when you have a car w/ little torque its easier to bog, or get the wheel hop the rx7 gets. ( man I've been hanging out w/ these rotary guys too much ) but these are the things that seemed to be their problem w/ the car. which is why the above looks like it does. intercooler, 14psi, ECU, full exhaust, pulley, fuel system, = low 13's @114mph.
Yeah it seems that the Rx7 motors are very high maintanance, and are unpredictable. My bud took great care of his, prolly just as good or better than my cobra and it grenaded at around 45k miles. He sold it online to some guy on his rx7 list he knows, or something with a blown motor as is.
BTw 14K redline, damn whats the point? why not make more torque for the car down low and take redline to 9K, seems like it would make more sense to me..unless your driving an indy car..hehe
later
Dan