View Single Post
Old 12-31-2001, 12:50 PM   #11
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Rocket 99 GT.

If you hate the 4.6 so badly. Trade yours in, buy a now extinct Camaro or Firebird LS-1, and stop complaining. Do you know of the growing process and pains that the Windsor small block went through? It didnt just jump into legendary status you know.

If bigger is always better, why dont you go buy some of those mamoth engines that were put in the racing cars of the early early 1900's. Hey some of them had 600 cubic inches and more.

Wow. 600 cubic inches, you should be able to build some mad power. Guess what, its a Ford 4cyl. Oh, how about we all rally and Demand that Ford starts putting the ol FE 428 back in cars (That would actually be cool, but impossible due to tree huggers).

Hmmmm...Oh or how about the old Cadillac 500's. Man with all them cubes, there gotta be some mad power there. Ports on the heads?????Combustion chamer desing and size???????Piston velocity???????WHO CARES. More cubes equal better.

As for Ford Having to put a blower on the 4.6 to beat the camaro, you just keep on thinking that. You might have to spend a little more money than building a NA 302, but it can be done.

One thing that irks me, Seems like the old saying You cant teach an old dog new tricks applies to the automotive world also. Why is everyone so afraid to work on the 4.6's? The combustion process is the same, the only main diffrences are, the cam is in a diffrent place, there are two of them instead of one, and the timing chain is a whole lot bigger.

I guess I'm not as partial for the ol Windsor block as most of you all because I've only been into the Mustangs and Fords for the last ....oh....9 years. And just recently took to the new Mustangs and Fords. As an old car nut, I used to look down on the new Stangs, including Fox-Body's. I thought they were turds, but thats because I hung around with alot of BigBlocks.

Thanks to Tim C though, I have changed and can appreciate all years of Fords and Mustangs. I have been particualary facinated with Fords Modular engine. From a engineering stand point, its a pretty stout strong engine. Sure its big and bulky, but thats because the cams are on top of the cylinder heads.

As for week bottom end bieng week on the 4.6's. I would like to see someone crank up 18psi of boost on the stop bottom end of a Windsor In block Cam engine and see what happens. Lots of them Cobra guys run hellacouis boost and still have the stock bottom end.

I say Ford, keep the Modular engines. I would like to see a 5.4 put in a regular production stang as standard, that would kick *****, (Yes I know, Its a bigger displacement engine.) but I'm not going to fool myself and think that there is no more power to be had out of a N/A 4.6 like alot of people do.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote