View Single Post
Old 05-18-2002, 05:09 PM   #4
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation Rice vs Domestic muscle

Oh nO:

Most of your statement is factual and has been discussed here many times.

Yes, there are fast imports. There are also a lot of fast Mustangs (and Camaros). Difference is that most 'fast' imports on the street are 15 or 14-second cars, while the fast 'Stangs run 12's and a few 11's. But this is old news.

Your analogy of the '50's hot-rods resenting the '60's factory muscle cars is a bit off. The '50's hot rods had OHV V-8 engines from Cadillacs or Oldsmobiles or heavily reworked flathead V-8's and while the 'older' guys may have resented the (then-new) factory musclecars (like the GTO, then the big block Fords and Chevys) that could outrun most of them off the showroom floor, they gradually appreciated those cars because the factories were really just imitating the 50's guys by putting big V-8's in light Ford and Chevy bodies. Aside from that, both the 50's hot rods and the '60's muscle cars were all-American iron. Big difference.

Sure, we have posers in the domestic ranks but when we get newbies on the tech board at Mustang Works they usually ask about exhaust, gears, intakes, pulleys and ignition and fuel upgrades, not where they can buy some really neat stickers or a giant wing. Noticable difference in attitude.

Modified imports have some value but they're not doing anything really new, even with the suspension work some have. Road racing was popular in Europe since the turn of the 20th century and even in America since the 50's before it took over in Japan.

Your correct about one thing: Rice is an attitude. A bad attitude.

I can live with Ricers but I can't see them as being big contributors to American racing history. They drive little Japanese cars that look silly. A few are actually fast, granted, but they all look dumb, in my opinion. They'll always be tension between the two camps, unless the Ricer thing dies out. Maybe, maybe not. I don't care. I drive a Mustang.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote