View Single Post
Old 08-07-2001, 11:54 AM   #41
PKRWUD

This is an interesting thread that I hadn't read until today. To answer your most recent question, it's extremely important that the t-stat opens at the proper temp, but you said this problem existed to the same extent with or without a t-stat installed, so I doubt that will solve everything, but it's still a wise idea to replace it with one that you have tested and verified to work properly. I recommend buying one from Ford. What I really wanted to touch on, that no else has, is your radiator cap. Maybe I misunderstood what you said, but I got the impression that when you pressure tested the system, and then let it run with the tester in place, you didn't have any problems. If that is correct, then your problem is largely based on having a defective cap. Maintaining pressure in the system is critical to running cool. Have your builder (or whoever pressure tested your system) check the cap to see how much pressure it holds. If it's less than 15 pounds, replace it with a cap that tests good to 15 pounds. The combination of a bad t-stat and a weak cap could and would lead to an overheating problem. The last thing I wanted clarification on was your fan, and the direction it is blowing. Right to left tells me nothing. I believe it was Jim that said it best: the leading edge of the fans rotation should be closest to the radiator. In other words, which ever way the blade rotates, the angled tip of each blade that is the closest to the radiator should be the leading direction in which the fan rotates. Is this the case with yours?

Let's figure this one out.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote