View Single Post
Old 02-02-2004, 06:27 PM   #9
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Couple of points

First, I don't buy the thought about raised letters being on purpose. I am not an expert on all the tags from all the states but I do know that at least one does not have raised letters, Delaware. I lived there so I know that. I'd be willing to bet there are others. I believe it is a function ot the technology used to make the plates. I believe that when they first started making plates they stamped them and have just kept on doing that in most states, ergo, the raised letters. I will continue to believe this until I see more than anticdotal evidence to the contrary.

Second, In Texas the registration is not on the tag but the windshield along with the state inspection sticker so a tag holder can not obsure the registration.

It is not illegal in Texas to have a tag holder or cover. It is illegal to obsure your tag. Just in the last month there was a high ranking DPS Officer on a local talk radio station clarifying this point as it has been blown completely out of proportion here. The issue was raised over cheaters on the Houston toll ways using the redipass lanes and obsuring their tag so it could not be read. A penalty of up to $200 may be imposed on people who obsure their tags for these purposes, but it not illegal to have a tag cover or tag holder that does not obsure the tag. He sepcifically stated that if you could see that it was a Texas tag you were ok. It would take a pretty big holder to block out Texas on our tags.