View Single Post
Old 02-09-2004, 09:17 PM   #4
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Bri:

I am putting 245's on the front and 285's on the back with my new rims (they are 10.5" wide in the back).

I think 275's with 245's is a very nice choice as long as your rims are wide enough. With a 17X9 rim, you should be fine. Check with someone like Tirerack...call them. Give them the offset and the width of the rim and they will tell you what tire size you can use.

You can not rotate this setup in the traditional sense, but you can switch them from side to side. If you go with directional treads, you will have to have them removed from the rims when rotating.

When replacing the tires, you do not have to go with all four at the same time. With this setup, you will replace your rear tires about twice as often as the fronts. In the end, you will not go through any more rubber as the fronts last longer than usual.

I would recomend these tires:

Sumi's HTRZII ($103)
Yokos ES100 ($113)
Kumho Ecsta 712 ($90)

(I may have the actual model numbers screwed up). The prices listed are about what TireRack sells them for in the 245/45/17. The 275/40/17 cost a little more.

I have the Sumi's now and will be going with Kumhos for my setup because they are the only one of the three that makes a 285/40/17.

All of these tires are great in the rain for a performance tire. Wider tires will hydro plane more than a thinner tire...period. So keep that in mind. But, having the 275's in the back is a little safer than in the front.

I love the off-set look! I think your brother's buddy is right.

One other note, you will get better grip in the back in theory with a wider tire on dry pavement. Your car will be less prone to sliding the rear out in a hard turn. I think this is a good thing.

I think this is a better arrangement than 18's. When you use 18 inch wheels, you must go with a thiner tire in order to keep the circum the same. These means that the side walls take on more load and is is harder to get a wider tire and still keep the ride safe.

No matter what, always be sure that an tire expert has approved your selection to insure that th etire is designed to handle the load of the car (if you are doing anything really wierd).

Good Luck!

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote