Thread: Gay Marriage
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2004, 06:43 PM   #78
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Taking the lead form 5.0's last post...

"The debate isn't over whether anyone here happens to be 'gay' or not, it concerns 'gay marriage', currently a very hot topic in the ongoing culture wars."

Many here are too young to remember the Viet Nam War or the reasoning behind fighting it. A much discussed line of reasoning was the "Domino Theory". By that theory if we did not stop communisn in Viet Nam or Southeast Asia other dominos would fall and it would spread further from China.

Gay marriage reminds me of this in a cultural sense. If permisive behavior gos unchecked, it will spread to many areas that today would seem to be unaffected by Gay Marriage. So the cultural war is fought on that battlefield to hold back the wholesale change out of cultural values that have been/are the norm. Other battles lost have been school prayer, etc. Many casualties have been piled up in places like Political Correctness and Excessive Tort litigation.

So althought the current battle may not affect you directly, as was said of Viet Nam, the war if lost will have an impact.

The current fight in Middle East is much more threatening than Viet Nam seemed to be but I am sure there are those that would say let the middle east folk do what they want to it doesn't affect me. The threat to cultural norms is in some ways very similar.