View Single Post
Old 04-08-2005, 02:11 AM   #6
procharge94
Registered Member

Default Re: Suspension Suggestions

I agree with Darius, even without a budget, suspension can quickly rack up a large bill. Start with shock/struts, wider and stickier tires, THEN decide what aspects you like and dislike about the way the car drives. From here you can make a few more mods, like lower control arms front and rear.

To add my opinions and experiences:

Bilstein shocks/struts ($440 on ebay) - I currently have these in my '94 GT and am very happen with them. You are going to see a HUGE improvement over the stock dampeners.

Tokico 5-way adjustable shocks/struts ($522.05 from MM) - My buddy has these on his '97 cobra. The adjustability is great, but over-rated. For the money, these really are not worth it. The ride quality is nice, but nothing impressive. But, compared to stock, they make a very large improvement. Having adjustable shocks/struts tends to give the driver a feeling of always wanting to adjust them, instead of adapting to the behavior of the suspension and tuning other aspects of the car.

Eibach Pro-lines ($200 on ebay) - I am currently running these with great ride quality. This is a great and economical choice if you do not want to run coilovers.

Evolution Motorsports Adjustable Lower Control Arms ($379) - The ability to adjust pre-loads on the rear springs make these LCA's quite unique. They are a bit pricey, but I have had great success working with their techs. And with many products, you get what you pay for.

MM non-adjustable LCA's ($249.95) - My buddy has these on his '86 GT. Before he installed these control arms, his rear end was all over the place coming out of turns and hopped all over the place on hard digs. After the install, his rear end is much more stable and holds more true to the front of the car coming out of hard turns. The axle hop is pretty much non-existant.

MM tubular front control arms with urethane bushings ($349) - These make the front of the car drive where you steer it. Uneven roads don't cause such a 'floating' sensation either. This is also a great weight reduction mod.

Start with these and see how you like it. You must remember that ANYTHING is better than stock, so you are going to see an immediate improvement over your current setup. If you install these yourself, you will also gain irreplaceable knowledge about what exactly is going on under your car. While under the car you may find damaged bushings or bent suspension components that may have gone unnoticed until a time when complete failure occurs.

There are plenty of people in this forum with decades of experience in OE and aftermarket mustang modifications. Asking opinions is always a good move, but the BEST way to learn about a product is through FIRST-HAND knowledge. Try it out yourself and see how you like it. Two people with the same cars and the same goals may take two completely different roads to get there.
procharge94 is offline   Reply With Quote