Thread: Pricing help
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006, 10:43 PM   #9
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Default Re: Pricing help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox90GT25th
I disagree The prices on these cars are high and will stay this way.
Classic cars have been skyrocketing in value since the release of Gone in 60 Seconds, and the coverage of the Barrett Jackson car auctions. The appreciation is extremely abnormal, and the number of people interested in the market is finite. In my opinion, not only is the market saturated, but the coming financial difficulites for many homeowners will force decisions between houses and toys.

The collector car market has been fickle for a LONG time now with run ups and drop offs. This recent bubble is likely no exception. Especially when Detroit has decided to make throwback offerings which is what most of the general public really wants anyway.

Classic musclecars are expendible toys for most folks, and the buyers of these cars are most often people in their 50s which now want to go back and get their dream car. These folks are nearing retirement, and they'll be all too eager to dump their classic cars when they start to feel the retirement pinch. Of course, there are a lot of people with tons and tons of money, but they're not interested in a collection of 200 cars because the market will again turn bearish, and storage for such a collection is hard to come by.

Today's youth market, as a general rule, has no interest in musclecars, and I don't see that interest changing. That means there is a finite and dwindling number of people even interested in the classic cars. How many people do you know that are actually interested in working on or building cars? I hardly know anybody with that kind of interest anymore. We're a rare and dying breed, and pretty much the only market for those old cars.

Those are all reasons why the collector car market bubble isn't likely to continue indefinitely, or in my opinion, even for another 5 years.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote