View Single Post
Old 09-03-2000, 05:48 PM   #2
T_Bone
Registered Member

From what I've heard, at least for Mustangs, chips don't actually live up to their claims as far as hp and torque.
As far as chip manufacturers go, Superchips seems to be good, as well as, hypertech. If you really want the chip to make a noticeable difference, you need a dyno tuned chip. Some people actually claim to have lost power after adding a chip that wasn't dyno programmed.
My advice...skip the chip and go for underdrive pulleys. At least until you add some kind of boost which requires an aftermarket chip for the full potential...just my opinion.
Also, if your adding the cat-back for power, don't waste your time. It's only worth 2-4 hp, I'd guess. The h-pipe alone will add noticeable power and a louder sound. If you still want a different tone after the h-pipe, then go for the cat-back.
Get an aftermarket short throw shifter such as a Pro-5.0, or Steeda Tri-Ax(if it's a Manual...you didn't mention). So, I would change the list to look something like this...
1. 3:73's for stick, 4:10's for Auto
2. X or H pipe
3. short throw shifter
4. pulleys
5. Cold air intake/MAF

Hope this helps. Good Luck and welcome to the Forum.

------------------
T-Bones '96GT

'96 GT 5-speed
Roush Cold Air Kit w/ K&N, 80MM Mass Air, Mac Cat-Back, Mac Pro Chamber H-Pipe, FMS 3.73's, FMS 70MM TB, March U/D Pulleys, Steeda Tri-Ax.
T_Bone is offline   Reply With Quote