Thread: Car Audio 101
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2001, 12:51 AM   #7
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Question

Okay, what I will do (since I have more time than usual this week) is tear everything down and start over. I will follow your advice MonsterTrosity.

Once again though, it puzzles me as to why the front speakers(especially) and the rear speakers start getting distorted if I cut up the volume. I took the front ones out and hooked it up to my stereo inside the house and was able to turn it up LOUD and NO distortion, but I put it in the car and can't turn it up 1/2 as much without it getting distorted. B4 I hooked them up to the amp, they (all of the speakers) seemed even weaker. I guess I'll try taking them off the amp (45Wx4) and see what happens. Maybe it is the gauge of the wire. I dunno. Maybe I just have the amp hooked up wrong. Car audio is not my thing, but I am willing to learn.

What gauge wire do you suggest? They're hooked up with the generic Best Buy speaker wire.

MonsterTrosity, when you say "cap", is that a safety so the speakers won't get harmed by too much power and are you saying it has a built in filter?

ANYMORE ADVICE OR POINTERS ARE WELCOME.

-----------------------------------------
351W-powered 1979 Ford Mustang notchback
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup someday)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body

[This message has been edited by Fox Body (edited 07-23-2001).]
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote