View Single Post
Old 11-08-2002, 10:19 PM   #12
jim_howard_pdx
Registered Member

Cool

95MustangGT

At least you are willing to think.....

What typically happens in engine development, is that the engineering group builds the hard parts, bolts them together and then plays with cams until they get the performance, or lack thereof, that they desire.

So when they built the 351 Cleveland, it was designed very much like the Tunnel Port 427 that they never could win a race with. The Tunnel Port 427 was a beast, with horsepower even higher than the 427 SOHC engine.

So going for highest peak torque (horsepower) at the target rpm, they ended up with a cam that sucked across the entire power band, until they get to the rpm sweet spot, then the power was awesome.

So there is a big balance act to build the cam with a broad torque curve in the desired band, and one that can generate adequate horsepower to hold a lead or pass during the straight aways.

On my 400 HP engine I was running a lift of .472 on the intake and exhaust, 214 degrees at .050 and advertised at 278 degrees. It was an ok cam, good for a daily driver.

On the rebuild we did three weekends ago we used a .496 intake and .520 exhaust, 224 duration at .050 lift and 234 for the exhaust. This is the Edelbrock RPM cam that gave them 401 HP with the RPM heads, intake and EdelBOG 750 carb.

I have ported heads, a little more compression, and a better carb, so I am guestimating 425 hp until I can afford some dyno time.

Trick flow sells 3 roller cams for their heads that should work really well to build substantial torque with their ports, valves, and valve angles.

For daily drivers they recommend a 221/225 duration @.050 lift at .499/510 lift. (A little less powerful than my Edelbrock 351 rpm cam) On my engine, my computer says it will build 410 HP +/- 5 HP.

For Strip/Highway 224/232 .542/563. Looks awesome to me. The computer says 445 HP +/- 10 HP for this delicious little tasty treat. ( A little nice step up from my daily driver street rod cam)

For Racers, 236/248 .574/.595. This would put my engine very near 500 hp +/- 15 hp. (This is one serious mama, and would be ideal for NOS as well.)

The 236 cam would work on the street, but be prepared to run at least 102 octane, and it will overheat in traffic without a high flow water pump and aluminum radiator. In the long run, curtin number two would be best if you like to get in and drive the highways and biways of America, but want to dominate Z-28s on the street or strip.

Hope this helps.

Build a 351 block and slip it in your car. You will not believe the awesome torque curve it produces, but your fuel mileage WILL SUFFER.

I am doing 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, even with my grand-daddy highway lovin 3.25 gears and the C4 with 2.47 first gear. Imagine what I would cut with 4.30 gears!. My computer says 3100 lbs would generate 11.95 to 2.20 Slicks or street tires at 112 mph