View Single Post
Old 02-27-2002, 08:41 PM   #9
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Quote:
Africa will not forever be doomed to 3rd world status in my opinion. The raw material necessary to produce today's computer chips is found there, along with diamonds, gold, and other natural resources. There will be somebody able to help that continent rise up to a higher level.
What do you think the DeBeers conglomerate has been doing over there for year and years? Helping the poor African folk? Please! They and other American and European companies have been mining diamonds, gold, copper, tin and just about everything else out of the place for ages. Has it helped the Africans? For the most part, absolutely not. If anything, it's kept most of the continent in 3rd world status and given rise to Western/European countries.

Quote:
Before we start comparing what they've accomplished in the last two hundred years vs what we have, you might want to consider our natural resources, and the fact we came here with technology from Europe.
I understand where you're coming from here, but I was referring more to the overall religous/cultural picture. Let me elaborate: Thousands of years ago the Fertile Cresent region was brimming with cultural prominence, popular religous views that worked, and scholars that contributed greatly to their society. As time progressed, their religous ways were not 'keeping up with the times' for lack of a better expression. To be blunt, they didn't adapt with the changing world. All religions went through (Crusades) and continue to go through changes and adaptations, however the Muslim faith appears to have been left behind in many respects. While many Muslims have progressed and adapted their religion to the 21st century, there is clear evidence that the majority of "Dust Bowl" countries have not.

Good discussion, Guys.
E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote