View Single Post
Old 10-30-2002, 07:41 AM   #1
xtrememach1racer
Registered Member

Question Cobra Engine Swap...Ways to improve my 98 GT...

Hey guys,
I'm very interested in swapping the 2V 4.6L engine from my 98 Mustang GT with the much more powerful 4V Cobra Engine. It doesn't really matter that much to me whether I intall the 96-98 version or the 99/2001 version). I have read that this swap is relativley simple, with the initial purchase of the Cobra engine being the most expensive part of the whole swap. My problem is that my GT has the stock automatic trans, and I have no idea of how hard/effective it would be to conect this to the Cobra engine? How much additional trouble might this create? Would I be better off swapping my stock trans for a C4 or something to that effect? How much time would it take (in aproximate hours) to complete this swap? What would I need to buy besides the engine to make this work in my GT? Where might I be able to find these items, and what might they cost me?

Also, if this swap would be extremly complex (on the labor side), then what else might you recomend that I do for my car? I'm getting pretty sick of the anemic power that my 4.6 puts out with its pre "P.I." heads, and I can't go ahead and don't want to buy a supercharger becuase I don't want to exactly advertise my power from 2 miles away. I know of all the little bolt ons already like underdrive pulleys and exhaust work, but what else is there? I know that I can buy a head upgrade for my car to match the power of the new GT's, but from what I hear, it generally requires the engine to be taken out to be done most easily, and takes 12-14 hours in labor, meaning a huge cost for that. Would I just be better off swapping my 98GT engine for a newer 99+ engine in terms of labor cost? I guess in short...what is the best thing to do for me to get more power from my ride, while still keeping it as a daily driver, as I am a senior in highschool. I have about $5000 to spend on this from saving up for so long, so I'm really anxious to put all of that hard work to use! Thanks a lot for any help that you can give me!

Sincerly,
Dave

P.S.-I was cosidering installing a Powerdyne Silent-Drive Supercharger system on my car because there is suppossed to be no noise, but I have heard that they seem to break and require rebuilds very often. Is this true, or is that really the solution to my problem? Sorry for all of the questions, but any help would be great. Thanks again!
xtrememach1racer is offline   Reply With Quote