MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-29-2003, 03:02 PM   #1
patrickk1
Registered Member

Default 429/460 in a 99 mustang

I currently own a 99 v6 mustang that i would like to do a 429 or 460 swap on. From friends i have talked to, they say it is impossible. I find that hard to believe. I am planning on doing a tubular k-member/a-arms and coil over conversion and maybe a manual steering rack. I would like to keep my power brakes but need to know the pro's/cons of the manual steering rack and what i would need to do to keep the power brakes. I plan on using a cobra r hood to clear the carb and intake if dimensions permit. As for mounting the motor, what would be nesscary to do this? The only other thing i am conscerned about is the transmission. Seing as how my car is a automatis, i figure i'll just stick w/ an automatic so i dont have to sorry sbout installing a clutch pedal. What trans could i use to support the power of the BB while still being able to fit w/ out any cutting? Would the transmission crossmember need to be removeds and would i have to fabricate a new one? Any info would be apreciated.
patrickk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 07:25 PM   #2
Coupe Devil

Not to take away from this wonderful site... however. I feel you may find some more people that know alittle more about a swap like this over at Hardcore50.com There are some guys there that have built some "Body in White" cars and I think they could help you alot.

Bradley

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 07:39 PM   #3
patrickk1
Registered Member

thanks for the info!
Old 01-29-2003, 08:20 PM   #4
Simi Stang

Default BIG BLOCK

Wow, that would be a crazy swap to put a carbed big block into a '99 stang! Where are you located? Do you plan on driving it on the street? Smogging (depending on where you live) a carbed big block a '99 fuel injected Mustang might be difficult...unless of course you are building a track only car?
Old 01-29-2003, 10:18 PM   #5
patrickk1
Registered Member

I was planning on keeping the motor carbed so i wouldn't have to worry about the fuel injection. Eventually i would probably go to fuel injection but not till after i finish college and have the bundles of excess money laying around. Then i would use a modified hilborn setup for electronic fuel injection and a tecc II engine manegment system. This motor is for a street car....actually....my car is a convertable. I know i definatley need subframe connectors and a rollbar. The motor i really want to build is a destroked 460 that is twin turbo charged and bored .060 over. That way i stiil have all he hosepower but the torque will still be down a bit so i will still have some tires left on my car. I tend to be a person that doesn't like having what everyone else has. I live right outside of Tampa, Florida. I have friends who own junkyards so i can get really good prices on all of the parts and i will be doing 95% of all the work on my car so that will keep costs down tremendously.