MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-04-2001, 03:30 PM   #1
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Talking Changed valve cover gaskets what fun

Other than removing the upper plenum, not really a bad job. I spent lots of time cleaning out the lower intake and upper intake throttle body and idle compensator valve IAC or whatever Ford calls it, with a few cans of carb cleaner. Got lots of brown gook out got kinda buzzed from the fumes

I ended up with the Felpro cork gasktets with the little aluminum spacers in the bolt holes. Turned out to be the exact same set that was in there, including the plenum gasket. I was pondering a plenum spacer but figured not worth the extra $$

I was going to get the Earls gasket but Forte's was not open on Saturday ( they are 15 min from my house, I know someone who works in the office) After doing the job I'm glad I did not spend the extra$$ Those valve covers are nice cast aluminum and the heads have a raised rail and plenty of bolts. Much better than my Chevy Small block. Don't know why they leaked so bad. The gaskets appeared to have been overtorqued and were kinda brittle. The car had a shot radiator when I got it, it was probabaly running pretty hot at times.

Oh yeah, drove my 45 miles to work, no leaks so far, nice not to smell oil burning on my H pipe

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Daily driver. Silencer removed, K&N filter. Flexalite fan, 3 core radiator. FMS flywheel and Clutch, FMS blue wires Energy Suspension end links
88 Notch 2.3L 5 speed Parts/beater car My two Notchbacks

74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3 305 Finally fixed getting a 454 to put in garage
<A HREF="http://www.chevellepages.com/folingo" TARGET=_blank>www.chevellepages.

[This message has been edited by Chevyguy (edited 09-04-2001).]
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 08:59 PM   #2
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

i'd stay away from the gaskets that have the metal spacers because they can fall out of the gasket during removal and can fall in the engine, just make sure that the old ones you take out have all of the spacers in them
if you really want to make sure it wont leak and also be able to re-use the gaskets, get some rubber/synthetic ones, they're nice especially if you have problems with something you dont have to buy new gaskets every time you take your covers off

------------------
88 Notch, B&M Ripper, 3.73's, Ported E7's, Explorer int. w/ ported lower, pulleys, 1.7RR's, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframes, 65mm TB, March ram air ,MSD coil, U/L control arms, 155lph f/p, Crane Adj.FPR, Nitto drag radials, best 1/4--> 13.76@101.4 on a 2.17 60ft
fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 01:52 PM   #3
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Talking

Ahh yes, I remembered the post about the metal spacer that got caught in the oil pump shearing the drive shaft and generally nuking the motor. I made sure all the metal spacers came out with the felpro gaskets I removed, as a bonus I found a piece of the original gasket in the drivers side head in the lower back side trying to fall back down into the pan. I hope not to have to pull off my valvecovers anytime soon, still no leaks!~!!

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Daily driver. Silencer removed, K&N filter. Flexalite fan, 3 core radiator. FMS flywheel and Clutch, FMS blue wires Energy Suspension end links
88 Notch 2.3L 5 speed Parts/beater car My two Notchbacks

74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3 305 Finally fixed getting a 454 to put in garage
<A HREF="http://www.chevellepages.com/folingo" TARGET=_blank>www.chevellepages.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote