MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-28-2001, 07:47 PM   #1
ChesteR
Registered Member

Post I am new, and I dont know why Explorer Intake manifolds are so swell?

I am new, and I dont know why Explorer Intake manifolds are so swell, can someone please explain to me why they are so much better? What is difference between them? Weren't they rated the same HP/TQ as the GT motors?
Thanks
ChesteR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 11:43 PM   #2
84LX89GT
Mustangs

It's actually the whole explorer engine combo besides the restrictive exhaust and internal engine differences.
The intake manifold looks like a cross between a Cobra intake manifold and a GT40 intake manifold and it's ALOT cheaper to obtain. The flow rivals that of the Cobra intake manifold i believe. I also know that you have to modify the lower intake manifold by installing a bung for a sensor (forget which one). If you don't feel like doing that i've heard that a cobra lower intake manifold will bolt directly to it, but i have an explorer upper intake and have been unable to find a cobra lower, i've heard it may be the same as the GT-40, but i can't confirm that.
The cylinder heads are referred to as GT-40P heads. They have "quick burn" combustion chambers, which i believe are more heart shaped and the ports are larger with larger valves in the intake and exhaust sides. The heads require special headers because the angle of the spark plugs were changed. Many companies offer GT-40P headers to fit those heads.
The 5.0L explorer makes 215 horsepower like the '93 -'95 Mustangs but it does it with single exhaust and a smaller camshaft designed for low torque in mind.
Oh.....and yes i would classify them as "swell"

------------------
Mustang Parts Specialties ripped me off, it could happen to you as well.
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
my LX
'89 Mustang GT
my GT

84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 12:29 AM   #3
PKRWUD

Wink

Lucky guess.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 01:31 AM   #4
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Cool

yeah, they're pretty groovy too!

------------------
Joe! 1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.58@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:www.joe4speed.com
99 Ninja ZX-6R:10.32@135mph!
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS 16.40@88.8mph
joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 02:29 AM   #5
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Cool

The Explorer upper is very similar to the Cobra's. The lower is the same as the Cobra, which is the same as the GT40.

The Explorer heads are the GT-40p variety. Several tests show the GT-40p heads outflowing the original Cobra GT-40 irons. They also feature smaller combustion chambers to raise your compression ratio to about 9.5:1 vs 9.0:1 stock. That is helpful in the naturally aspirated power dept. The GT-40p's flow well on the exhaust dispite the stock HO sized 1.46" exhaust valve in good part because of the lack of an exhuast thermactor bump for the emissions system. The thermactor bump is no longer necessary due to the clean burning combustion these heads allow.

Just for clarification, the
1993 5.0HO was rated at 205hp/285lb/ft
1994-1995 5.0HO was rated 225/300 with the manual and 215/285 with the AOD.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote